RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little schedule going now with my pup and was wondering at a little over three months if once a week in the water is a good average. She loves it and I do not wear her out but make sure its just fun.

·
Registered
234 Posts
certainly at 3-4 months, there are plenty of other things to be doing (basic obedience probably being at the top of the list) but I think if your dog loves the water, I would opt for 2-3 short sessions a week....a lot of just playing...remember you can reinforce anything in the water that you haven't worked on in the yard....just keep it fun for now

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Mine has been getting a once a week water(pond) session of about 5 retrieves a session for the last 6 to 8 weeks. He's 24 weeks old now. After 5, he's still pumped up but of course I leave him wanting.

He LOVES the water and love might be an understatement lol. I have to give him a few minutes to do his thing in it before he calms down a bit. I mean he dives underneath the water, bites it, bites the splashes he makes, swims out about 10 yards and then back in, all that jazz before I throw the first bumper.

His drive to and while in the water is noticeably higher than his drive on land. Here lately all on his own he is developing quite a dramatic entry into the water as if to be in competition with himself on how far he can dive in from the bank. Just normal Lab stuff really. I've got to get some photo's of this while he's still a pup though.

Anyway I'm in South Louisiana, it's HOT already, so It's at least once a week for us in the water. Helps with keeping him clean and the shedding some.

/

·
Registered
92 Posts
mine is 6 months and I have been trying to get to the water about 2 times a week. not sure if its good or bad but basically dictated by my schedule.

·
Registered
792 Posts
at what age would you start introducing him to water and what age would you make it a weekly thing? i have read some say start at 8 weeks and other 12-20 weeks

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
As much as possible!
I believe good water attitudes are developed when pup is introduced early and often. My year old thinks nothing of hitting the channel (80yds) and swimming out, shaking off and coming back the same way. She is also the most honest dog in the water I have ever been around.;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
at what age would you start introducing him to water and what age would you make it a weekly thing? i have read some say start at 8 weeks and other 12-20 weeks
With it being summer time now and most water temps are relatively warm I would say that you can start introducing your pup any time. The pups attitude towards water would determain just how much I would push them in the water. If he is felling comfortable with the water go a head and send him on a couple retrieves. If he is acting a little hesitant at first let him play in the water until he is feeling comfortable.

400bull

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She loves it but I would take her more if I had the time. I have a huge water station for my dogs and she will paw and roll in it and splash like crazy. Her first time in the water was amazing. She loves the water like no other dog I have owned.

·
Registered
994 Posts
We go to the beach and Gulf of Mexico almost every day we can. My 3 year old YLF loves to walk and run on the beach and do water retrieves. She never wants to quit.

·
Registered
792 Posts
well learned a valuable lesson today. dont choose a boat ramp on a pond that has a serious algae problems. also dont wear white shorts. i fell in twice due to slipping and it was painful and my shorts are ruined.

on another note moose did get in although hesitantly. he was still whining but me being wet already i got in to waist deep. he swam to me and then turned around.

could of accomplished more but there was a family fishing there with their puppy and she kept walking over and the kids kept wanting the dogs to be boyfriend and girlfriend.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The more the merrier. I like it when a young dog goes into the water with no direction from you and just swims around. You will see the breathing goes down, their rhythm becomes in check and they swim in almost effortless. I also like when they will occasionaly look back at you to see where you at, and just continue on with no agenda. In my mind, it is a au struck(sp).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts