RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not into the Walters philosphy on pups must go home exactly on a certain date !

But I am interested on peoples thoughts on when it is ok for pups to go to their new homes?

anytime 7 weeks old? or after 8 weeks old?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey, If I had my choice, I'd never see a pup before 11 weeks. That being said, if the breeder is not doing a great job with introduction, kennel, etc. Get them to you asap.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question is at what age is it ok to break up the pups and start sending pups to new home?

·
Registered
165 Posts
if buyer picking up in person...7 weeks. if shipping must be 8 weeks. IMO the sooner they get to new home the quicker the bonding starts.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Buddy pucked his up just before 6 weeks from a well versed trainer. I thought he was nuts but must admit, that dog is pretty well glued to him. Never have to worry about where he's run off to

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I picked up my pup between 7-8 weeks because that is where the weekend fell.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have to keep my pups until 7 weeks because my vet will not give first shots until they are 7 wks. She says any earlier is a waste of the vaccine. Once the shots are given the pups can go home the next day once I know there is no adverse reactions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had to wait till 9 weeks but that was because of my work schedule. The little guy will not leave my side!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've picked up puppies just shy of 6 weeks, and out to 10 weeks. With my last pup being 8 weeks old. And had to wait that long because they have to be 8 weeks to fly. The last breeder said she likes keeping them until 7-8 weeks old. I would assume 6-8 weeks would be best.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments. They help.

I think I like the 7-8 week answer being ideal time, anytime after 7-8 weeks.

other thoughts?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Just my druthers as both a puppy buyer and a puppy seller. I think 8 weeks is better than 7. It can also depend on the litter. I had one litter that I didn't think was ready at 7 weeks and another litter from the same bitch, different stud that was ready to go a 7 weeks. It was a maturity thing IMO.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
The time line was based on an old book by Clarence Pfaffenberger called "The New Knowledge of Dog Behavior". It goes back to the 60s. It was based on research done for the use of a guide dog group in CA to see if they could improve their success in graduating guide dogs.

Basically, is developmental psychology for dogs. Wks 1 thru 4, the pups need their dam and the care she gives them. Wks 5 thru 7 the pups learn to interact with other dogs through interacting with their littermates. At 7 wks the dominant ones begin to emerge. To leave dominant pups with more submissive pups for too long after 7 wks will prevent each individual pup from readhing its maximum potential ... according to Pfaffenberger.

However, the time between 7 and 8 wks is a fear period. Yet, that would be a time when many pups are taking their first long car ride; being separated from littermates; and also being put into an entirely new environment (new home). So, it isn't such a bad thing if pups don't go to new homes until 8 wks.

I got one pup at 9 wks (due to scheduling). There was no trouble bonding. And a week or two after 7 wks, physiologically, the pup is easier to house train.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts