RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Felidae Big cats Carnivore Liver Art

This is Eng Ch Banchory Danilo --- I overlayed the current written breed standard illustration over him. Matching the point of his shoulder and pastern, as much as I could. You'd almost think his image was used in drawing that sketch. I think some bench breeders would be scared to see how their dogs 'stack' up against the overlay. (But there are definitely bench dogs that are very near it, too).. I reckon there are a lot of field bred dogs that would be very near as well.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
That was clever! Well done, and thanks for posting.

I reckon there are a lot of field bred dogs that would be very near as well.
I'll bet there're good many working dogs on both sides of the Great Water that don't come anywhere near it too, my current big lump for one. He's got enough legs to make two Danilos.

I've always liked the Banchory dogs; all look like they could take care of themselves in a tideway.

· Registered
10,611 Posts
Notice the stop
Tail is probably at a minimum.
Could be a tad leaner in the gut
Can't tell if the eyes are brown

View attachment 91194

This is Eng Ch Banchory Danilo --- I overlayed the current written breed standard illustration over him. Matching the point of his shoulder and pastern, as much as I could. You'd almost think his image was used in drawing that sketch. I think some bench breeders would be scared to see how their dogs 'stack' up against the overlay. (But there are definitely bench dogs that are very near it, too).. I reckon there are a lot of field bred dogs that would be very near as well.

· Registered
811 Posts
The shoulder and upper arm bone assembly on Danilo are FABULOUS. Some might seek a longer upper arm bone but Dr. Martin Fischer's work has pretty much put the kibosh on what I believed for 30-plus years about dogs' upper arm bones (old dogs CAN learn new tricks).:)

The skull in the second photo looks too flat for a Lab, though? Curlies should have flat or nearly flat skulls--didn't think labs should have them? Might be the angle of the photo because it looks okay on the overlay.

· Registered
167 Posts
The shoulder and upper arm bone assembly on Danilo are FABULOUS. Some might seek a longer upper arm bone but Dr. Martin Fischer's work has pretty much put the kibosh on what I believed for 30-plus years about dogs' upper arm bones (old dogs CAN learn new tricks).:)

The skull in the second photo looks too flat for a Lab, though? Curlies should have flat or nearly flat skulls--didn't think labs should have them? Might be the angle of the photo because it looks okay on the overlay.
The skull should be flat as opposed to domed, the standard doesn't say that in so many words, but it specifies that the head should have parallel planes, which would preclude rounded, this pic is from the illustrated breed standard:
Eye Jaw Working animal Dog breed Dog

You don't see many Labs that actually have parellel planes anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts