RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im planning on building a deck & drawers for the 6.5' bed of my GMC1500. Bed has a plastic liner. I have seen quite a few homemade wood types at events. Anyone have experience/plans...Do's/Donts? I would like to make one drawer wide enough for wingers. 3/4 plywood or is 1/2" good? Marine Grade? What type of framing? Carpeting? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I've built a couple nice ones for my last two trucks. I'm just heading out to air the dogs, I'll try to post a description when I get back. Better yet, take a photo of the one I rushed together in a day before I left on my trip down here.

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's my current setup. I've been happy with it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very Nice. Are you a cabinet maker? Nice work. What did you use for the deck? Are the drawers on rollers?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I like the bottle opener on the RH deep drawer...nice touch;) JD

·
Registered
137 Posts
Camodog,

I finished mine with roll on truck bed liner. It resists moisture and keeps things from sliding around. I also bought drawer slides for the drawers, they are alittle pricey but worth it.

I'll try to post a pic later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very Nice. Are you a cabinet maker? Nice work. What did you use for the deck? Are the drawers on rollers?
I'm not a cabinet maker by trade but do have some expirience building furniture and general woodworking techniques. Construction is 3/4" birch cabinet plywood. The trim, drawer fronts, and face frame is red oak. The top deck is made from portions of 2 sheets of 3/4" birch ply joined with a tongue and groove joint. You have to use two sheets for the top to span the entire bed above the wheel wells. I then primed and coated the top deck with oil based porch paint with some silica "sand" mixed in to give it a little texture. I'm amazed how well the paint has held up. Probably about three coats. The drawers are just on 1/4" waxed runners. I didn't use drawer slides because of the added expense and the room they take away from the drawer interior. Took me about 16 hours of labor but I spent alot of time waiting for paint to dry between coats. I got the design and alot of good advice from BHB too by the way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It just sits in there. I guess you could attach it if you wanted too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I really like the bottle opener.......;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nate, Thanks for the info, great pics. Does the unit have a sheet of plywood lining the bottom? Also could you show a close up pic of the 1/4" waxed runners. Im assuming theyre on the bottom of the drawers. Are the drawers all full length?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Camodog,

I finished mine with roll on truck bed liner. It resists moisture and keeps things from sliding around. I also bought drawer slides for the drawers, they are alittle pricey but worth it.

I'll try to post a pic later.
Thanks. Yeah I was thinking something like spray on Bed liner or maybe an Outdoor type carpet if its necessary. But im not sure how it would hold up after alot of interraction with Wet Dogs.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ask Moosegooser for a pic of his DRAWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nate, Thanks for the info, great pics. Does the unit have a sheet of plywood lining the bottom? Also could you show a close up pic of the 1/4" waxed runners. Im assuming theyre on the bottom of the drawers. Are the drawers all full length?
It does have a sheet in the bottom. I'll try and get a picture of the runners but they just kind of run the length of the drawer from front to back on the bottom. the two small drawers are full length. The deep drawer is about 1.5 feet feet shorter than the bed. I left a void there with plans to put a small rv water tank and pump. There is a hatch in the top deck that allows access to the void.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nate,
Thanks again. Yeah i was thinkin about putting a couple Hatches up front for the "Dead Space" in each corner, maybe for a Jack,etc. Nice idea with the water tank. Im hoping to start it next week. I should take a before/after pick,You'd laugh at the Clutter!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Some things to consider when building pickup bed drawers - from experience.
Definitely spend the money for good quality heavy duty drawer slides. Did it the other way - not happy in the long run. My current drawer units are 5 years old and drawers smooth as silk, open and close with fingertip effort only. Built 2 seperate cabinet and drawer units, each 23" wide. Easier to move, remove, reinstall if needed. In use, they are held together with 2 small metal plates screwed to the tops, one in front, one in back. Cabinets 3/4" plywood, drawers 1/2". Moveable partitions inside drawers 3/8" plwood, held in position by 1/2" plwood verticle strips stapled to inside of drawers in various positions allows multiple configurations. My cabinets are 60" long to accomodate rifle or shotgun. Only 1 drawer unit has the moveable partitions
(3 partitions= 4 compartments) possible for guns). They're removed and drawer is re-configured when no guns needed, or just 1 gun-slot for training. Minimum 3 coats paint on all exterior surfaces. Inside of drawers have 2 coats of varnish. Take the time to measure a few other vehicles. I measured my suburban and wife's Toyota 4Runner and a couple others and built units so they could be used in other vehicles. Oak drawer fronts. Drawer slides were approx. $300, oak was pricey, the rest not so much. Sides next to drawer units were "filled" with 2 or 3 sided "boxes" custom fitted to pickup. They're connected to sides of drawer units with L brackets, easily removed if needed. Tops of side storage ares have lift off tops with hole/handle in top. The 16" or so area in from of cabinet drawer units is a 3-sided box with piano higed lid. Hard to get to, but stores jumper cables, come-along, jack and emergency tools. Not needed often.
If you don't already have one, get a topper with side windows that swing up and open. Then access to side storage and other stuff is much easier.
Take twice as long to plan, measure and consider final use before starting.
Good luck with your project.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts