RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you know when your female has a mastitis problem ?

I'd appreciate any info on mastitis ?

My pups are nursing great at only 5 days old, almost too good most recently. This is the second litter for this bitch of mine. She is 5 years old. She seemed to have developed lots of milk way early before pups were whelped (big teets!). She has also been producing LOTS of milk, more than the pups can handle at times. My concern is she already has some hardening of her large teets.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Check the milk, it should be a clean white. If it's a brown tinge, you've got it started. Easiest way to see the color is squirt onto a paper towel or toilet paper. If it's brown, warm compresses help soften it up, I generally strip out as much as possible to help clean it out, and you'll need to get her on antibiotics ASAP.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Are the puppies nursing on ALL her working teats? If they are nursing on the teats, she's good. If the "teat goes bad" they won't nurse on it. Second, take her temp. What is her attitude like?

If pups are nursing fine and working all the teats, and she is acting fine and has no temp you should be fine.

WRL

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pups are nursing all teets. The 2 teats closest to her head don't really have milk, so are not hit much.

She is already on anitibiotic - cephalexin, from c-Section.

So I guess no problem right now.

I started to wonder as her teats are huge and getting a little firm already at only 5 days. Milk is white from what I have seen. I think she really is producing lots of milk and the milk kicked in weeks before whelping.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If she's overproducing, reduce her feed a bit, especially if you are giving her extras besides her regular food. How much I feed depends on litter size and age, body condition of the dam & pups. Mastitis can get ugly fast, monitor your dam's temp at least daily if you are suspicious. Feel each teat at least once daily, should not be super hard, firm if full but not actually hard or angry swollen looking. Keep pups nails trimmed so they don't scratch her up.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
If she's overproducing, reduce her feed a bit, especially if you are giving her extras besides her regular food. How much I feed depends on litter size and age, body condition of the dam & pups. Mastitis can get ugly fast, monitor your dam's temp at least daily if you are suspicious. Feel each teat at least once daily, should not be super hard, firm if full but not actually hard or angry swollen looking. Keep pups nails trimmed so they don't scratch her up.
To add to this informative post, it can go so fast that the milk doesn't have to have changed color-the gland is hot and hard start compressing. Their temperatures can go up to 106 or higher. She is on cephalexin so chances are she is just over producing, but if the temperature is high the antibiotic may not be the right one for the infection, if present.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts