RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here...I did my homework and found what I believe is a fantastic breeding. I put a deposit on a pup that hasn't even been conceived yet.

I have bought videos and researched trainers. I spend my evenings reading the archived posts here. How do I make the next several months go by in a hurry? :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
Spend your time praying. Praying that you'll get the sleep you did before and that your skin is thick enough to withstand puppy teeth and nails. Also spend it thanking God that you're getting full nights sleep right now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Spend your time praying. Praying that you'll get the sleep you did before and that your skin is thick enough to withstand puppy teeth and nails. Also spend it thanking God that you're getting full nights sleep right now.
I was going to say spend your time sleeping but MattC beat me to it. You might try training for the puppy by setting your alarm to go off every hour between 10PM and 6AM. My only other tip would be to invest in carpet cleaner stock, as you will be a large portion of their revenue in the coming months.....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If you're new, depending on your plans for the puppy, you could start doing homework on trainers and training groups and clubs in your area.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Catch up with your buddies. Might even want to go to the local watering hole while you still can (once the puppy gets here, you'll probably catch yourself trying to slip home during lunch, and you'll definitely be making a bee-line home after work :p)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to say spend your time sleeping but MattC beat me to it. You might try training for the puppy by setting your alarm to go off every hour between 10PM and 6AM. My only other tip would be to invest in carpet cleaner stock, as you will be a large portion of their revenue in the coming months.....
Hahaha... Being almost a 50 yr old male, I get every hour already. The pup and I will have no problem with that part of his training. We just had 1500 sq. ft of wood floor installed in preparation for this.

Keep the advice coming.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
New guy here...I did my homework and found what I believe is a fantastic breeding. I put a deposit on a pup that hasn't even been conceived yet.

I have bought videos and researched trainers. I spend my evenings reading the archived posts here. How do I make the next several months go by in a hurry? :p
Go fishing

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Go out and help people train that have dogs at the level which you aspire. They will love having help and you will see first hand what it takes to achieve your goal. Ask questions especially the "how's and why's".

Patience!

Tim

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welcome bakerloo! You're in my part of the state. Send me a PM and let me know about your pup, training plans etc. You'll benefit from joining a club but be prepared to drive. The central valley is VERY limited in regards to training groups. As for passing the time, great advice to get some training materials and start preparing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Go out and help people train that have dogs at the level which you aspire. They will love having help and you will see first hand what it takes to achieve your goal. Ask questions especially the "how's and why's".

Patience!

Tim

X 2 Good advice. Go out and participate before you get your pup. That may help you form your expectations. Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hahaha... Being almost a 50 yr old male, I get every hour already. The pup and I will have no problem with that part of his training. We just had 1500 sq. ft of wood floor installed in preparation for this.

Keep the advice coming.
Thanks in advance!
Put a rug down over the hardwood to keep it nice :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts