RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 month BLM that really and I mean REALLY loves to play with others dogs to the point where he gets aggressive a needs to get pulled off or away. How much of this is puppy and how much is him being aggressive.

He doesn't bite but it gets to the point where he gets on top of the other dogs and they start to get really annoyed and thats when other dogs nip back and have tried to let other dogs give him the pressure he needs to quit but comes back for more.

Any thoughts or opinions are great.

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He is great with everything else but am concerned with this behavior

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
You should probably limit his interaction with other dogs. Pups can be a real PITA for an adult dog. You want the pups focus to be on you, not other dogs. My little guy gets about 15 minutes of interaction with my big dog per day, the rest of the time they are separated with a xpen or kenneled.

·
Registered
409 Posts
FPA,

What your seeing is just normal puppy play. If you really think your dog is going to hurt the other dog then stop the play otherwise it sounds normal to me. They get pretty rough sometimes but it's usually harmless.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I also have a 4 month old pup and he is that way with my big dog. I think my big dog must have the cleanest ears in the dog world. My pup won't stop licking his ears. I almost have to drag him off of my older dog. My pup also climbs all over the older one. They are seperated during the day while I'm at work and get a couple of hours or so together when I'm at home. It's very rare that my older dog gets upset with the pup. If it were me I'd tear into the pup.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
I can remember wishing my older dogs WOULD chastise the pup sometimes! But just to be sure no blood was drawn or bad habits started, pup was only allowed to hang out with the big dogs on our twice daily long walks. Too busy "going" to have time to gnaw off the big dogs' ears. Also, they could just run away when he got pesky. Other than that they were kept separate.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
When I had a litter, the pups would walk under my male and try to suck on his thingy. He would growl, bark and walk away. Same for mom when she got tired of them.
Mom and Dad play rough with each other. Seen both dogs put the pups in there place a few times.
Sorry, No advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts