RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay I've been working on hold with my 8 month old for about a week now. The 1st 3-4 days I was working with my training buck and we had a terrible time with rolling/chewing it. I transitioned to a heavier object, a large 12" mag lite flashlight with batteries and it was instant improvement. 3 sessions later I had her outside walking at heel/sitting and some recalls on lead with only a couple of drops after a minute or two.

Now that I think we are getting the hang of it I am going to slowly transition back to the training buck or bumper. But I'm just worried we will be back where we left off with the rolling and chewing. I am going to slowly decrease the weight of the flashlight by taking 1 battery (Large D Cells) out at a time until we are down to bare bones, then transition over.

Anybody had to use a heavier/weighted object to get over this hurdle? Then what was the end result when you transitioned back to your original hold object?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I don't work with a training buck or any other objects. I just start with a bumper and end up with a bumper.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea tried the hammer, she didn't want anything to do with that. But the flash light with 1 pass over black electrical tape she took to pretty well.

I realized after a few days she was rolling and chewing the buck exactly how she likes to carry and play with her bones around the house, so those have been put up for the time being.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
I do not do it for “parlor trick” effect Wayne. My brother and I, while working it the forest hugging trees. Use our retrievers to carry tools forth and back between us. Handing a dog a screwdriver or hammer and sending it is common. A side effect is a much more mouth aware retriever. So in helping folk with sloppy holds I took to just handing the dog a hammer. Then here on the RTF I have readed that many others also use hammer hold. I feel it is the off balance weight of it that makes it work. Seeing as ducks are rarely evenly balanced, it transfers nicely. If you have a young dog on your truck Wayne. And you think you have a solid hold. Hand it a hammer

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I'll try it when Rowdy gets to that point.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You seem to have missed the purpose of force fetch. When your dog rolled and chewed the buck you were supposed to make her hold it correctly. When she refused to hold the hammer you were supposed to insist. Force fetch is not about getting the dog to hold and fetch. It is about teaching the dog that they HAVE to hold and fetch and ultimately to teach them they HAVE to obey.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll transition back to the bumper slowlyl now that I know that she knows what hold means. man where are all the weighted object advocates now that I posted a question after using some of their techniques? left me high and dry on this one

so for the bumper roll and chewing just keep up the taps and cuffs to the chin? that should take care of it?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
i'll transition back to the bumper slowlyl now that I know that she knows what hold means. man where are all the weighted object advocates now that I posted a question after using some of their techniques? left me high and dry on this one

so for the bumper roll and chewing just keep up the taps and cuffs to the chin? that should take care of it?
Yes and NO....You are doing something that a dog doesn't like....Why???? Now it is up to you to make your dog understand why and be fair about it. Dog is uneasy on what is going on....Your goal is to make dog understand you even though he or she doesn't like it. If you have a lead, attach lead to collar and do a loose wrap around muzzle with the left over lead pulling above dog's head. If dog decides to roll or try spit bumper out, pull up on lead to raise dog's head. Praise and eye contact is very important at this stage. The bonding between you and dog in the earlier age of dog's life will make dog relax. Praise....Make dog understand that no harm will come doing what you want. Now if you have an Alpha.....All bets off.:)

My penny worth.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, I did go right back to the training buck yesterday after hearing some of these responses, and she actually did great. Only a roll or two at the beginning and two drops in a 5 minute session. I do believe the heavier object helped get the point across what she was supposed to do with the object no matter what size or weight it was. I had her heeling, up to a slow jog with a few sits and short recalls mixed in. I believe we are on our way. Will probably work at least the rest of this week on hold just to make sure we're good, i'm in no hurry

·
Registered
7,411 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I bought (2) 4" to 2" PVC reducers from the hardware store. They fit perfectly on the end of a 2" bumper. Teaching hold I use a plain bumper and insist on a quiet mouth. I get it as good as I can. Then add one of the reducers to the end of the bumper (very off balance) and this helps significantly to quiet the mouth. I will intermix with and without the reducer through the FF process and when your dog starts fetching off the ground put both reducers on the ends to help keep the dog from busting its chin or nose on the ground lunging for the bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts