RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up a started dog named Zip. The problem I have is it sounds too much like Sit. So a few times when he has started to creep, I have said sit, and he breaks. He's 16 months old so changing his name is not an option really. I know I can line him with my hand on all marks as a cue when I release him, but that's not gonna work in the duck blind in all situations. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Interesting question on this sunny morning.

I sit here, and smile, as I say Zip Sit, repeatedly LOL. Must be our different accents, as they sound different to me.

Does your dog sit in the yard, when you call it??

G

·
Best thing I can think of is to add a second syllable... like zipper or zippy. You actually could change what you send him on, you just have to re-teach it...

I'd just really annunciate the 's' or the 'z'. You can also say them with a different tone or sharpness, but it would be nice to have that range available on each word anyway... But I was thinking this: say SIT sharply and say zip a little drawn out and calmer...

i'd try adding a 2nd syllable...

They can figure it out though. I remember Dennis Voigt had a dog and he would say the dog's name and add a second word to it and dog had to be steady. I thought it was crazy, but the dog DID know the difference. For example, if dog's name was "blue"... he'd say "bluebell" and dog wouldn't got. You think the dog would have gone... But training the way he did, he taught the dog to wait for the full and complete name and not just the first breath... So they CAN figure it out. Just be fair about it.

-K

·
Registered
448 Posts
i've seen a few handlers send their dog on "fetch" instead of their name---i guess that would be one possible solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we've only had him a week, so I assume there will be a learning curve. He gets it right most of the time, but has broken a few times. I like the advice of saying "sit" sharp and abrupt and "Zip" slower and more drawn out. Being from the south, sit and zip are already two syllable words for me, so adding another may not be an option. :D

G

·
AdamB said:
Well, we've only had him a week, so I assume there will be a learning curve. He gets it right most of the time, but has broken a few times. I like the advice of saying "sit" sharp and abrupt and "Zip" slower and more drawn out. Being from the south, sit and zip are already two syllable words for me, so adding another may not be an option. :D
bwahahaha, you guys just need to come over to Alabama and you'll really have it!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
:idea: At 16 months the dog may have been FTP and/or started lining drills. If so he was probably sent on BACK. Why not just use BACK for marks and blinds? Start a new habit.

Tim

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
If you like a different name you can usually teach them in a few days without trying. They really don't know their name is their name. And I can say quite confidently they won't care :D Just always make it a positive thing for them and they will transfer real quick.

Pete

·
Registered
367 Posts
The longer name sounds easiest to me. I have actually changed a dogs name late in life, it's not that big of a deal, just start it at dinner time.

Is that Zip in the picture?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I co-owned a dog named "Zip". Had no problems with any conflicting commands at all. Won two Quals with him and got an Amateur 3rd before we sold him to a pro, who sold him to someone in Texas. Last we've heard of him.

Good luck,

Evan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dukdawg said:
The longer name sounds easiest to me. I have actually changed a dogs name late in life, it's not that big of a deal, just start it at dinner time.

No. He's a yellow dog out of Esprit's Out of the Woods. He's been thru FTP and currently is in Pattern Blinds. I wasn't cracked about his name but can live with it. One of my last dogs name was Jett, so naturally, I have been calling him that on accident anyway! Maybe I should change it. On the surface, it seems like a hard thing to do. ?????

G

·
AdamB said:
Dukdawg said:

No. He's a yellow dog out of Esprit's Out of the Woods. He's been thru FTP and currently is in Pattern Blinds. I wasn't cracked about his name but can live with it. One of my last dogs name was Jett, so naturally, I have been calling him that on accident anyway! Maybe I should change it. On the surface, it seems like a hard thing to do. ?????
It's not a hard thing to do. We have a gazillion dogs out here at any given time, some of whom have the same name... And, even if we don't have dogs with the same name, many end up with nicknames that sound NOTHING like their real name. They will come to both or either. Here are some examples...

Allie -- Baloo
Alli -- Shippy
Dora -- D-belle
Emmie -- Memo
Newt -- Beanu
Brandy -- Bisquat
Audrey -- Cowcow
Abbie -- Beegail
Bizzie -- Frenchfry

Don't even ask how some of these names came about. I just listed them because they made me laugh. I don't train any of the dogs with their nickname, BUT around the kennels, we'll call them through gates (the entire group of 15-20 dogs at a time has to sit and wait to be called) with their nicknames or call them to us with them or to get their attention.

I'm sure they'd go after a few tries if we sent them on marks...

It really doesn't take long. Maybe a couple of weeks for a dog to start recognizing something else you're calling them.

Even the CATS have nicknames around here. And they respond to them too.

So I wouldn't worry much if you changed the name. Just give him some time to get used to it.

-K

·
Registered
367 Posts
Same here K

I've got a:
Baylee - BG or Bgirl
Becca - BecBec or becaroo
Bo - HangD_ _ K, - because of a briar incident when we we on a puppy walk one day four years ago, stopped him in his tracks, I thought Hmmmmm, I wonder how he'll deal with pressure.

I would be surprised if it takes as long as two weeks.

Brad

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have had a 'SID' who never had a problem distinguishing between his name and a command (sit).

Our group has also had a variety of names that sound similar to commands.

Enunciate differently with different words, and the dog should be fine.

PS - I was thinking about naming my next puppy 'Dip.' Don't think it'd be a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts