RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out doing some marks with my young dog who is not ready for handling, I started out with a single mark thrown from the left clearly visible 60 yards out in medium cover then a mark from the opposite side of the field again at 60 yards, both marks picked up no problem. Moved BB back another 30 or so yards and threw a mark from the left side dog picked up after a bit of a hunt in the AOF then comes the last mark, dog gets off on a hunt clearly distracted by something that catches his nose, I call for the BB to give a hey hey and toss a bumper he now heads over from his hunt and picks up and drops bumper back to his hunt. I felt I had no choice but to walk out and when the dog was within the area of the fall gave him a nick and " FETCH " which he complied. Should I have rerun this with force?

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
so,
what was the big change from the first 2 good marks to the last mucking about mark?
Only distance? Cover change? stuff in field? Had you walked what would be your lines to your marks afroe tossing. I have found everything from rotting deer to midnight gardening, walking fields for marks.
Was the dog starting to get tired?

All this unknown, I would have moved BB in, tossed and easy. ended on a happy and staked and watered pup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Distance changed
cover same
Nothing in field
I did not see anything along the lines.
I do not believe he was tired as I took him off and let him hunt for 15 minutes or so and took the long way back to the truck and he didn't slow at all.
Roughly 40 yards beyond the last mark he mucked up was a small pothole with cat nine tails may have been ducks earlier in the day ( I dunno )

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I agree with Ken on running one more mark to see if the behavior changed ...I like to end on a positive note..IF possible...Steve S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts