RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Who is this "Richard L." Hall? Last time I saw his byline was in an early 90s issue of Gundog Magazine that featured an advert for (yeah) "Pointing Boykins."*

MG

* "Richard L.'s" editorial content had nothing to do with this ad, though I seem to recall he was writing about a "spotted Lab" (a/k/a his Brittany, Kai, as a topnotch retriever for Rick's waterfowl guiding on the Bayou, but I may be mistaken)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who is this "Richard L." Hall? Last time I saw his byline was in an early 90s issue of Gundog Magazine that featured an advert for (yeah) "Pointing Boykins."*

MG

* "Richard L.'s" editorial content had nothing to do with this ad, though I seem to recall he was writing about a "spotted Lab" (a/k/a his Brittany, Kai, as a topnotch retriever for Rick's waterfowl guiding on the Bayou, but I may be mistaken)
I don't know who Richard L. Hall is but this does come from a 1988 Gun Dog magazine so may be the same Richard L. Hall.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Grenada, MS...........April 2021....................don't remember if it's the 3rd or the 4th day of the Spring Grand.

Anyhow; I'm sort of asleep in my motel room, and I get the notice from my phone that I've received a text message. This is before I had my alarm set. Message says that I don't need to report to my Grand site until 8:30am. The prior days we were getting there an hour before sunrise................6:00amish. Reset my alarm for another hour of sleep.

Alarm goes off; take my dog out for a walk to do her thing, back to my room, feed her, do the 3 S's, and then head to the motel lobby for the "continental" breakfast. Grab a big plate of food and a coffee and sit down to eat. Less than 5 minutes later an elderly man walks up and says, "Mind if I join you?" I look up, recognize him immediately, stand up, and say, "Yes sir." It's Omar Driskoll!!!!

I'd not ever met him in person until the day prior when he and Butch Gandy paid a visit to the Gunner Up Grand land test I was judging at. They spent about an hour watching dogs run at the test I was judging before leaving to visit some of the other test sites. Anyhow; after he sits down, he says........."We met yesterday, right?" I said, "Yes sir we did." And we then re-introduced ourselves.

We talked for about 45 minutes when it probably should've only been about 20 for me. He gave me the HRC history lesson in that time. He told me that where I'm from, NE Illinois, that Illinois was the first state FAR outside of the "founding" area of HRC in LA to really take hold and grow. We even talked dogs a bit, my job, some politics until I finally said that I really needed to go. He apologized for keeping me so long; and I told him, "Anytime."

Get to my Grand site; and my Grand committee member was a bit PO'd with me for being about 20 minutes late. Told him I was detained. He asked, " By what?" My reply was, "Omar. We had breakfast together."

Anyhow; I included my breakfast with Omar into my "judges briefing" of the test that morning. The handlers thought it was really cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts