RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

For those of you that run HRC hunt tests, where do you start your pup at?

• Started as a pup and get the SHR title (these are fun)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Started for two passes to get 10 pts for Seasoned title

• Seasoned

• Finished

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that run HRC hunt tests, where do you start your pup at?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Puppy

If you can (money) wise, Go with 2 started. This gives you and the puppy the events of every thing at it easyest first. Then you got 10 pts. After that go to seasond. If you go to season first pass, then if thier is a problem. You can't go to started and begin over. I may be wrong, but if I had the money. And a puppy, plus just begining. I would start thier first.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
seasoned. my reason is that i don't want to place my dog in a testing situation until it will handle.

imho, too many dogs get away with things detrimental to their further development in the started and junior stakes.-paul

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree 100% with blackdi! I debated a couple weeks ago on which route to take w. latest 10 mo CBR pup? Jump right in at the "Seasoned" level work we were training at and hope the test atmosphere didn't blow his handling/control? Or stick to the tried and proven method and collect the easy 10pnts to put toward the future HR title? Take the points and test experience and run with it everytime!
Peake
________
Ford Airport (Dearborn) History

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
HRC

:D I like to get the 10 points in Started and then only 3 Seasoned passes for a HR title. I made a BIG BIG mistake with my Yellow Male, Maxx. The first test in competition was a Finished test. He passed so I can not back up to Seasoned and get any points. I can run the tests but get NO points for passing. With a HIGH drive dog I definately believe to take "baby" steps even if the dog can in training do anything required to pass a next level above test. Just the EXCITEMENT of a HT can not be duplicated exactly in a training session.

·
Registered
151 Posts
paul young said:
seasoned. my reason is that i don't want to place my dog in a testing situation until it will handle.

imho, too many dogs get away with things detrimental to their further development in the started and junior stakes.-paul
:wink: :!:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get the 10 pts and move up. however, with this new pup, since my son is the one that will be running her this fall, and because I am not sure that she'll be ready to run seasoned comfortably this fall, I may let my son go ahead and put an SHR on her just for my son. I am not real impressed with SHR title, but a 9 year old doesn't know any better and neither does the dog.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I ran Hunter through the SHR title only because I was just getting into the HRC program and wanted to see how it all worked. This new pup I have will more than likely not see any HRC tests until she is trained through Seasoned. I will run her in AKC junior so I will pick up any test experience there that I feel she needs but she will be trained to the higher level first.
I agree with Potshot on that the kids and the dogs don't know the difference and I feel that is what HRC is about, the youth and bringing up the young dog along so that they have the potential to be great dogs. :)

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
We may have discussed this on another BB Terry, but FWIW, here's my $.02 that some on this board may want to think about.

First off, I was never in favor of awarding a title at the HRC Started level. None of the requirements had any meat to them. All you can judge the dog on is perseverance, and then it can be resent twice.

But having the extra 2 tests to get the "BIG" ribbon is a great opportunity to test the dog while giving the handler some important experience before plunging into the seasoned level with it's confusion factors.

I suggest handlers shoot the gun and test the dogs steadiness, for to handle the gun you need to have the dog off lead. Also, this would be the time to require the dog to deliver to hand. Both of these requirements are necessary at the seasoned level, so why not get used to doing them while you can run singles? And before you have to 'shoot' that diversion in a fit of confusion.

Just remember, when you handle the gun, ALL the gun safety rules are in effect, and are part of the judging process, so if you goof up, you both get failed. Same is true for a dog that breaks. So it becomes a very worthwhile form of training during true testing conditions. Which is good for both of you.

UB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts