RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a video of a dog running a puppy stake at an HRC event. I am new to this and would like to see what's up. Thanks

·
Registered
952 Posts
At our club, the pup must make about a 20 yard retrieve on land and water (each) with a bumper, or bird (handlers choice). We only charge $10 which covers the cost of the ribbon.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
At our hunt, if we have any puppies, we just do it at headqtrs and handler can pick from bumper or bird. If puppy picks up the bird/bumper they get a ribbon. we charge 5.00 for ribbon cost. We really do not care if they do it or not, it is just for fun and hooks the owner. A lot of times the owner has their child run puppy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Five each land and water marks, three blinds, walk up, diversions falling like rain.... oh, wait that is my nightmare. We just have a short little land mark at the HQ, only thing hard about it is that everyone is watching.

·
Registered
695 Posts
At our club the puppy stakes is for fun for the owner and pup. Done at headquarters and multiple short retrieves are thrown for the pup and a ribbon at the end of the day.

Janet

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope this isn't a hijack, but Spartazoo made me think of this. At our club's hunt, we have a Jr. Handler stake that is run much the same as people here are describing Puppy Stake. We sign up kids at the morning check-in and then, either at lunchtime or right before the banquet, we call the kids up one at a time with whatever dog they want to bring and the dog gets two hand thrown land marks out behind the HQ tent. We try to get some audience from the folks waiting for lunch/dinner/ribbons and some applause for the kids. The thing is, there's no expectation as to what kind of dog you can run and sometimes all of the kids (usually 3-6 of them, typically under the age of 12, but there are no rules) run the same dog. Then, during the ribbon ceremony, we hand out Jr. Handler ribbons first, then Started, Seasoned, and Finished. I can tell you first hand that there are three little kids in my house who think it's the highlight of the Spring Hunt Test season.

Now, I'm wondering how many clubs hold puppy stakes, how many hold Jr. Handler, and how many hold both.

Should I have made this a different thread?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
At our club the puppy stakes is for fun for the owner and pup. Done at headquarters and multiple short retrieves are thrown for the pup and a ribbon at the end of the day.

Janet
Bingo! Keep it simple.

PS. I guess I'll see you again June 23-24 in Oregon? Heard you were going to be there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our puppy stake has been a hand thrown mark or two where the pup runs to it and (hopefully) brings it back. (Or, in the case of my pup, as he was barely 4 months old, tries to eat it....).

I do like the Jr. Handler idea, and may propose it for our fall test, so we can order ribbons. I had never heard of it before our conversation the other day, Chad.
I have one and maybe two kids that might do it at the spring KVHRC Test...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have watched the Jr. handler event and to see kids that have been bored most of the day end with a huge smile is great.,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts