RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many HRC tests in the area this spring, entries are way down, and unfortunately Backwater RC is no exception. Our test is scheduled for June 16,17 and we still have quite a few openings in each of the test levels. We have super nice grounds and great judges, along with a raffle that includes THREE E-collars, THREE Winger Gift certificates. There will also be a bumper throwing contest with the winner taking cash!

Going to be a pretty awesome weekend folks, don't miss it! Entries close June 8th on www.huntsecretary.com

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Good luck. We canceled ours as did the other club close to us. Numbers are up for our AKC test. Hate to see HRC slowly dying.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good luck. We canceled ours as did the other club close to us. Numbers are up for our AKC test. Hate to see HRC slowly dying.
"slowly dying" because a couple clubs canceled their tests? Ok!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
If ya'll were closer, I'd run it. A bit too far of a drive though. Good luck, hope you get enough to make a good day of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I hope these tests don't get cancelled next season! My buddy and I are planning on coming down next year and hitting a bunch of the tests near the Detroit/Windsor border!

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's early Abbey. That's the problem with HRC and online entries, there is no cut off date for entries so folks will wait until after the cut off date to mail the entries in.

·
Registered
807 Posts
more than 2 clubs have canceled our numbers are down [mississippi flyway hrc] from 3yrs ago then we had 2 full flights of finished 1 full seasoned and 50 started to this year 1 finished and way down in seasoned and started.where are the finished dogs going to come from in 3-4 years with low seasoned and started numbers down.we can down play the impact of this but it needs to be talked about instead of pretending it is not a problem.numbers are down at all the clubs i look at. also its hard to get new members our youngest member is in his 40s. when doing yard work at home people comment how well behaved my dogs are and ask for advice and ask how to do it after explaining it. the next time i see them they are being pulled down the road by thier dogs. people don't want to spend the time.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
yeah, it is dying in Florida when two of the three clubs that hold test cancel them. I guess in your mind that means it is thriving? Take off your blinders. I love HRC, but in our area and others that I read about on here there are problems with numbers. Keep your head in the sand and the next time you pull it out HRC will be gone. I don't want that, but there is something that is leading to decreased numbers and canceled test. Our club had tried all sorts of things to get decent numbers including bringing in "celebrity" judges, using live pheasants for upland, changing dates...
The people who show up to run our test are all club members and old HRC guys. It cost us money every year and it is not because we do not know what we are doing, we have been an HRC club for over 25 years. We hold two AKC HT and one AKC field trial each year and all of those thrive, have high numbers, and make money.
I wish I could tell you why HRC is dying in our state, and in my opinion others, but after much thought I can't.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Abby (sp?), I agree with Bill.

MIHRC completed their test yesterday and I was the Hunt Secretary. We got 4 Started entries and 1 Seasoned entry the day of the test. I took many entries after our drop dead date (two weeks prior to the test date). We have that date there, but some don't know of their plans until later or at least want to wait for the last minute to decide. Whether an entry deadline two weeks from the date of the test is good or bad, I'm not sure; but it is easier on the Hunt Secretary to have 80% of their work done a 2-3 days before the actual event. Remember, we're all volunteers in the cause and game we commit to.

Yes, entries are down in the GL area, but our final totals in both Started and Seasoned where up slightly from last year and this is good. Finished was full as usual.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'd be happy to run your test, but I don't have a healthy dog at the moment. :-(

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm interested to know if numbers are down everywhere or mainly in the south??? I think numbers being down in the south can be attributed to the Master National being Held in Alabama this year. I know a lot of people were / are running master test instead of HRC tests to try to qualify for the MN. Just a thought!! I know the Master Tests i went to this spring were all "Full" Appears to be a trend toward AKC from HRC but like I mentioned...could be circumstance. I hope people aren't leaving HRC all together!! I love em both!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here in Ontario Canada we have 5 HRC club, was 6 but Essex was move out of our region. Of the 5 clubs: 2 have cancelled, one has gone back to a 1 day hunt and one moved their date. The dates and location of the Grand have affected the clubs as many of our workers want to run the Grand We moved our date last year to accommodate workers and handlers, the club that changed this year did also, of the 2 cancellations one was for financial reasons and the other I believe was part Grand and part reorganization of hunt location (don't quote me on this). The hunt this coming weekend is reporting full finished flights but has room in seasoned and started. Our hunt has drop to single flights of finished both days. Getting judges is becoming a problem as the pool is small here in the north and the expense of bring judges from other regions is becoming prohibitive.
I also run Canadian hunt tests and judged a junior with 14 dogs this past weekend. I can remember the day when a junior would have 50 dogs running. The next one we are judging will be a combined junior/senior because the club just does not get the entries.
Our Field Trial numbers are also down here in Ontario. A few years ago the average All Age stake would be between 50 and 60 dogs (not huge by American standards but larger than the other provinces). Now numbers are between 30 and 40. The lesser stakes are even lower in number. It is probably a combination of things, economy, too many games to play, competing against the pros in FT's, not enough new blood coming in, old age (for me), one hundred ane excuses etc. We try to keep people coming in but when some see how much work it is they would rather be boating or golfing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
We have just closed early entries for our test, YWHRC in Region 2. Our entries have been down the last 2 years but have rebounded slightly this year. Our biggest loss is in started. I believe that a lot of this has to do with the economy. A lot of our started entries were from people who primarily ran AKC. They were entering started to put another field title on their dog but did not have their sights set on higher levels. With limited funds due to high gas prices and a weak economy people are being more selective where they spend their money. They are concentrating on one venue. Our finished entries have remained about the same. I am pleasantly surpised by a small increase in seasoned. I believe that the people in started now are those that are in it for the long haul and will be the finished entry of the future. We survive by keeping our expenses down and using only volunteer help. Put on a good test and they will come. Maybe not in the numbers that we had in the past but I believe as the economy improves so will our entries. Anyone interested in running at Yankee Waterfowler in Woodstock, CT June 2,3. We have room in all stakes.

Wayne Sumner
HRC HT Co-chair

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Maybe I'm naive, but I think it's a the economy. It's tough to justify 3-400 dollars in gas, food, entry fees etc to go to a HT when you're worrying about paying the mortgage.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Think of the demographic that HRC aims for (or should be aiming for). HRC is aimed at the weekend trainer whose primary interest is a good dog come hunting season. The AKC events appeal to those whose primary interest is performance dogs as well as the person who wants a better hunting dog. In this lean economy the hunter has just so many dollars and has to choose between a couple of weekends testing or perhaps that new beretta or maybe the trip to Canada, or as previously suggested the mortgage. The dog enthusiast or increasingly enthusiastess doesn't necessarily have the same competition for disposable dollars.

I am not trying to be judgemental. As a grass roots organization, HRC needs to quit worrying about the Grand and get after more of the casual hunter with a dog. Show that person what a trained dog can do, and more importantly how the casual hunter can improve his/her dog without an enormous time/money commitment (hehe). This may be a heresy to some of those on this board, but without all the HT organizations doing their level best to pull in the casual hunter, HT's will continue to lose relevance and field trials will continue to depopulate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We had our test in Feb. we had 2 almost full finished flights, full seasoned, and started was almost full, but another club had to cancel due to low entries later in the spring. I think that HRC should make dogs quailfy for the grand every year like they do in AKC, that way people would have to run tests. which would help entries at the local level. And also let handlers bring more than 8 dogs. I talked to a pro trainer and he said AKC will let him bring more than 8 dogs and he can make his clients happy by getting ribbons/passes on their dogs, that pays the bills. He also said HRC is where he started and would love to be able to bring a truck load to every test he could make. I hope the powers to be will see the issue and address it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Think of the demographic that HRC aims for (or should be aiming for). HRC is aimed at the weekend trainer whose primary interest is a good dog come hunting season. The AKC events appeal to those whose primary interest is performance dogs as well as the person who wants a better hunting dog. In this lean economy the hunter has just so many dollars and has to choose between a couple of weekends testing or perhaps that new beretta or maybe the trip to Canada, or as previously suggested the mortgage. The dog enthusiast or increasingly enthusiastess doesn't necessarily have the same competition for disposable dollars.

I am not trying to be judgemental. As a grass roots organization, HRC needs to quit worrying about the Grand and get after more of the casual hunter with a dog. Show that person what a trained dog can do, and more importantly how the casual hunter can improve his/her dog without an enormous time/money commitment (hehe). This may be a heresy to some of those on this board, but without all the HT organizations doing their level best to pull in the casual hunter, HT's will continue to lose relevance and field trials will continue to depopulate.
Nice post!

·
Registered
328 Posts
We had our test in Feb. we had 2 almost full finished flights, full seasoned, and started was almost full, but another club had to cancel due to low entries later in the spring. I think that HRC should make dogs quailfy for the grand every year like they do in AKC, that way people would have to run tests. which would help entries at the local level. And also let handlers bring more than 8 dogs. I talked to a pro trainer and he said AKC will let him bring more than 8 dogs and he can make his clients happy by getting ribbons/passes on their dogs, that pays the bills. He also said HRC is where he started and would love to be able to bring a truck load to every test he could make. I hope the powers to be will see the issue and address it.
How much thought have you given this? There are 2 grands per year. Do you propose we qualify for each? How many passes to qualify? Some regions have only a few tests/clubs. In Region 2 we have only 5 tests per year. We also have a very small pool of judges. Most of us end up judging in about half the tests. I quess we can refuse to judge or just not only give up our chance to run our dog at the local test, we can also give up our chance to enter the grand. Maybe the pros can judge. Oh wait, they are busy collecting handler fee to make their clients happy. I'm not against pros but I have spent too much time waiting for handlers to get from one stake to another with just 8 dogs. There is already a rule change proposed to increase that number. We will see how that fairs at the National Meeting.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
How much thought have you given this? There are 2 grands per year. Do you propose we qualify for each? How many passes to qualify? Some regions have only a few tests/clubs. In Region 2 we have only 5 tests per year. We also have a very small pool of judges. Most of us end up judging in about half the tests. I quess we can refuse to judge or just not only give up our chance to run our dog at the local test, we can also give up our chance to enter the grand. Maybe the pros can judge. Oh wait, they are busy collecting handler fee to make their clients happy. I'm not against pros but I have spent too much time waiting for handlers to get from one stake to another with just 8 dogs. There is already a rule change proposed to increase that number. We will see how that fairs at the National Meeting.
Pretty much the attitude that will help HRC continue to have poor entries. All you offer is negative feedback without even thinking of discussing the possible benifits of an idea. We can't do this, we can't do that, the pros suck... This is they way it goes in HRC, rather than look at an idea and see how it might help make something better they immediately go negative as to why it can't be done.
The idea of qualifying for the Grand each year has merit. Are there issues with it? Sure there are issues with any changes, but often the benefits out weigh the pitfalls. I believe that Johnny has a point. I know several folks that run AKC to get ready for the Grand and don't run as much HRC because they believe that master is a more difficult test and prepares them for the Grand better. They want to be a part of the big dance but are not feeding the clubs that are the heart of the organization.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

I'm with ya on this Stu. The Grand is a great thing, and while I would like to have a go again someday (especially after getting good reports back from friends still in it today), I just don't have the time and don't want to spend the money. Right now I'm lucky if I can train the dogs once a week. The better half of this marriage wants to spend some time with me on the weekends so I have to make a few concessions given that work takes up most of my awake time Monday through Friday.

Central Michigan and St. Clair Flats are also in a bind for entries. We maybe have 10 dogs per day at Started, 7 and 2 repsectively for Seasoned, 34 dogs Saturday and 26 dogs Sunday at Finished. We are going to lose our assets on this test if we don't get some dogs in at the lower flights!

Abby, I would come down and run the dogs to support BUT I am flying out to Korea that weekend so I won't be available. Given my preferences between eating bad food and running a hunt test, you know what my decision would be if I had the choice.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts