RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For those proficient at using Paint or other drawing programs, what would you set up here and why? Just looking for a different perspective on what I came up with for a land/water Master HT scenario here.

·
Registered
789 Posts

Start with a long middle memory bird, then the left hand bird thrown from behind the tree in a well hidden blind. Bird lands on the bank. 3rd bird is a whiper/ flyer that splashes into the channel.... assuming we can shoot safely. Land blind across the deeper cover, through the trees and out into the mowed field.

Sorry the picture shrunk on me for some reason...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shrinkage was a factor that day, oh the Joys of April training in Upstate NY. Interesting perspective. How do you feel most dogs would get to the Long bird?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
One interesting idea would be to put a winger on the dike between the ponds and throw a high throw to the opposite shore. With the winger on the dike, the tendency may be to hunt the near side (with the winger) ... to not ever cross over to the correct side of the pond. Run from the corner to the left of the house. This would test true marking rather than simply what the dog thought he saw.

·
Registered
397 Posts
slicing the water and some cover changes

how bout some blinds

hard to judge distance, don't want to be to close to the road. You could run the opposite direction. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm Likin' those blinds John M. Fresh Eyes!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
slicing the water and some cover changes

how bout some blinds

hard to judge distance, don't want to be to close to the road. You could run the opposite direction. Just my thoughts.
I'd like to understand your bird placement on the marks, what were you thinking? What makes that a challenging test?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think you have to be a little careful Cindy on just what your trying to accomplish (as Harry mentions). Are you trying to test your dog...or train the dog? I see some really nice three peat water blinds or some nice down the shore water marks etc... with the pond edges being clean and mowed, you really get the opportunity to paint a black and white teaching scenarios for the dog.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd like to understand your bird placement on the marks, what were you thinking? What makes that a challenging test?
G1 - You've got multiple angled land/water entry/exits and as a retired gun they may hang up on the 2nd piece of land than push through to the last section of land. Squaring land may put the dog in a bad position as well. Putting the bird near a tree won't make it stick out on short cover

G2 - You've got a long land angle entry into water and if the dog is thinking land may push off the water and behind the gun. If the dog squares the water then may break down and hunt short plus a change of cover at the end they would need to push into.

G3 - As the go bird, a severe angle back into different cover will make the dog hunt, as opposed to a gimmie. That will burn memory for the other birds.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks for all the great diagrams/explanations/ideas. This was our first Water training of 2013, a refresher. Temps were mid-50's, and water temps were still low so we didn't want the pups in the water for an extended time.
We did not have flyers that day, but if we did, I would have put them at the short gun. We run a mixed bag of dawgs in our group. I had two objectives; look past that short gun, don't cheat the middle bird, get in that water.
Our Training Group runs primarily AKC HT. The master level dawgs did a fairly good job at remembering their skill set, some needed a bit of refreshing. The memory bird in the cover gave up some gorilla hunts, even with the wind.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I like John Montenieri's bottom series. I like the angles and the cover change.
I might have moved the line for the marks a bit more towards the bottom and run pretty much in the same direction.
And very similar mark placement to what John said. Would be a tough series though.
Great for training.

Greg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm in Kindergarten. If you like to paint, join the party, I won't disregard a high point FT judge, but I Will ask why.
I be learning mad skills!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts