RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My puppy has recently learned how to hump. Air, other dogs, and so forth. I would like to nip this in the bud so I don't wind up with a male who I have to worry about him humping someone when I have company over. He's only 10 weeks old so I don't really want to go slapping around on him and making him hand shy. I was hoping someone had some insight on what I can do to influence his adult behavior now. My mom is adamant about HATING male dogs "because, they hump everything!" And I really want to prove her wrong with this one. Lol let me know what ideas or things you have done in the past so that I don't have to romp on him. Thank you for your time.

Mrman

·
Registered
122 Posts
Somefolks will say it's a Dominance thing. some folks will say it's a puppy practicing life skills. Either way it's easy enough to distract them away from it

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think it is testosterone, and they need it for proper growth. But, they need to learn that people are NO-NOs, they normally get over it 12-15 mos old. Easiest way is if you have an Alpha Bitch around, let them play together, she will teach him manners.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got some Mississippi leghound bred into him.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You might not want to be around him if you're wearing short pants, IYKWIM

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Not really advice but...

My puppy would hump our sofa from the time he was 8 weeks old. I figured at that age it couldnt possibly be hormones? I just redirected his behavior towards something else.
However when kenneled outside he would hump his dog house on and off all day long, I'm sure the neighbors all got a laugh. He was even kenneled with my clf on and off and never tried to hump her... Guess his dog house is prettier.

I recently had him neutered (he was almost a year old) only because of unrelated health problems. It went away pretty much over night. Guess it was hormones after all lol.

Edit; I agree with recent science that you should wait till a dog is mature before you decide to alter it (after 2 years old is the typical standard it seems) however with my dog my options were limited and it was nessasary.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I knew this would get some pretty funny responses! Glad to see the sense of humor! Guess the answer is a consensus let him get his kicks were he can. lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
Redirect him when he starts the behavior. You can just get him by the collar or scruff and move him away from the object. If you ever hope to breed him, don't make humping something he gets in a lot of trouble for or you may have some difficulty getting him to mount a female when the time comes. Learned this the hard way with the first male I had. My current male did have the opportunity to be corrected by adult females. He never humped objects, just female dogs. He stopped this behavior somewhere around a year old.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don't make humping something he gets in a lot of trouble for or you may have some difficulty getting him to mount a female when the time comes.
good point!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Be glad that you don't have a humping puppy monkey baby!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great joke:

3 labs, a chocolate, a yellow and a black dog are sitting in the vet's waiting room.

Yellow dog looks at the chocolate dog and asks: "What are you here for?"

Chocolate dog says: "If you must know, I'm here because I pee uncontrollably, everywhere and I've ruined my owners carpeting. If they can't find a way to stop me, I think I'm headed for the pound."

Yellow dog says: "I heard this vet uses a lot of prozac, maybe that's what he's going to give you."

Chocolate dog asks the yellow dog: "So what are you here for?"

Yellow dog says: "I howl all the time. I howl all night, all day, because I'm lonely, because I'm happy, I just can't help myself. My owners aren't going to be able to keep me unless I quit, so they brought me here to get Prozac which will hopefully calm me down."

They both look at the black dog, who has been minding his own business and ask: "What are you here for?"

The black dog says "Bug off..."

Both dogs keep pestering the black dog until he finally says: "If you must know, I hump. I hump the furniture, I hump the neighbor's dog, I hump the neighbor, the neighbor's kids, anything, anywhere. The other day, my owner got out of the shower and was drying her feet off and I couldn't help myself. Now I'm here."

The yellow and chocolate dog look at each other and the chocolate dog says: "I guess you're here for the Prozac too."

The black dog says: "Nawww... I'm here to get my nails clipped..."

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LMAO! That is gold!! Bravo! I've never heard that before!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thank you, thank you.

I told that one at the thanksgiving dinner table at a girlfriend's house a long time ago. Her dad and brothers almost wet themselves. Mom, not so much.

I wonder how she's doing these days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts