RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is running her first senior. What do you women wear when running dogs in a hunt test? Let me get to the point. She is wanting
a khaki type shirt to handle in, is this permited? I know the rules say camo, but we see a lot of different clothing options.

G

·
JParsley said:
My wife is running her first senior. What do you women wear when running dogs in a hunt test? Let me get to the point. She is wanting
a khaki type shirt to handle in, is this permited? I know the rules say camo, but we see a lot of different clothing options.
Rules are camo OR dark clothing... I go for dark clothing. I normally wear a black handler's jacket (that could be a nice present!!) or something in navy or dark gray. Partly depends on the background of each particular test.

You can do khaki, but it normally would have to be a darker khaki. Some judges may ask you to change if it's too light.

I would never wear camo at a test unless I was forced to. :) ...just so my dog can see me clearly when I handle.

Tell her GOOD LUCK from her friends at RTF.

-Kristie

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Jeremy,
You are allowed to wear solid dark colors as well. I wear black longsleeve Under Armour.
Sometimes it seems (?) as though the dogs have a harder time seeing the khaki colored shirts.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
JParsley said:
Uncle Bill said:
Got any pictures?
UB
I should have known.. :D

Hey...Arturo needs to know these things before he can provide a tasteful answer. Normally this is Joe's department, but since he's not as 'quickly' helpful as he once was, some of us others just fill in with helpfullness. :roll:

It's the least I can do, and those that know me...KNOW I excell at doing the least.

UB

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
ATTENTION UB

DONT YOU DARE YOU GOOBER!!! :lol:

Gooser (who despite rumors doesnt model womens Camo!)

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
double post

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
triple post

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Gooser, if you want to delete a post after you've goobered it up, click the "x" next to the "edit" button on the post when it shows up, or go back to "edit" and scroll down to just above the "submit" button where it says "delete post." Click on that and hit "submit"..it'll ask you if you really want to delete that post...you hit "yes, and booyah, it's GONE!:wink: NOTE: you CANNOT delete a post that has been posted on except to do what you did.

Always here to help regards, :D

kg

·
Registered
883 Posts
Being of the elder generation like UB, pictures would help. I remember a tall blond with well tanned legs running a Qual years ago. She was atired in a white handlers jacket and SHORT shorts (they were completely covered by the jacket) and I don't think either judge knew she was running a dog too! Quite striking. Bill
________
HOTBOX VAPORIZER REVIEW

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Depends on the background... My classic is a Black Cami or sleevless polo, when it's hot,, A black jacket or long sleeve fitted shirt when it's cool. Black gloves if necessary. Skort or nice shorts. Jeans or Cargos if it's cooler.

Angie

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Another vote for Black (unless the background is very dark), in most settings tans and camo make it more of a challenge for the dog to clearly see the handler.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
or go back to "edit" and scroll down to just above the "submit" button where it says "delete post." Click on that and hit "submit"..it'll ask you if you really want to delete that post...you hit "yes, and booyah, it's GONE
Oh.. :oops:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Angie B said:
Depends on the background... My classic is a Black Cami or sleevless polo, when it's hot,, A black jacket or long sleeve fitted shirt when it's cool. Black gloves if necessary. Skort or nice shorts. Jeans or Cargos if it's cooler.

Angie
Dont forget the Camo Bikini

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
JParsley said:
She is wanting
a khaki type shirt to handle in, is this permited?
Yes, this is permitted

JParsley said:
I know the rules say camo, but we see a lot of different clothing options.
The AKC rules do not say "camo" they say "hunting attire". (But don't try wearing your snow goose hunting attire at a HT)

If I could post pictures, I'd share a series of black and white photos I took of a stickman wearing a camo, black, then white shirt. Surprisingly the most prominent color (white excluded) was the wooden stick material. And, since the background was a large oak tree, the black shirt was no better than my light camo shirt. So, as someone said earlier, it depends on the background, which is why you'll see most experienced handlers carrying a variety of shirts.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Kristie Wilder said:
Rules are camo OR dark clothing...
You can do khaki, but it normally would have to be a darker khaki. Some judges may ask you to change if it's too light.
I never knew that. Coming from HRC where camo is a must, I never knew it was optional in AKC. I need to buy a black long sleeve shirt before fall. :D

G

·
2-Dogs said:
JParsley said:
She is wanting
a khaki type shirt to handle in, is this permited?
Yes, this is permitted

JParsley said:
The AKC rules do not say "camo" they say "hunting attire". (But don't try wearing your snow goose hunting attire at a HT)

If I could post pictures, I'd share a series of black and white photos I took of a stickman wearing a camo, black, then white shirt. Surprisingly the most prominent color (white excluded) was the wooden stick material. And, since the background was a large oak tree, the black shirt was no better than my light camo shirt. So, as someone said earlier, it depends on the background, which is why you'll see most experienced handlers carrying a variety of shirts.
In a nutshell, wear as light as you can when you're in shadows or up against a treeline and go dark when you're in open fields, with sky at your back, etc.

and, while we're on the subject, try to stay in the sun when handling. Ask if you can move into the sun if it's possible and the judges will let you...

-K

·
Registered
370 Posts
JParsley said:

Except one memorible AKC HT where we were hunting Snow Geese. Handlers wore a white jacket. :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts