RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of us are aware, many hunt tests were canceled when COVID started last spring. What are peoples thoughts for 2021 and the increase of COVID cases across the country? Are we looking at another year of probable hunt tests cancelations? I think we are. Question: Do you plan to continue to train most everyday like we do through the winter??

Thanks in advance.

NNK

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
"Do you plan to continue to train most everyday like we do through the winter??"

No. In northern Illinois that is not the norm anyway. When testing time came around, it was difficult to avoid entering any tests. With three old people in the house that would have been foolish. Then again, I almost did a couple of times...but scratched before closing. Now, it seems like that was not much of a big deal.

Both dogs and I trained all summer alone (except a couple of times) and we are presently having a very good goose hunting season. My conditioned response for winter training has been re-conditioned to simply getting exercise.

I won't be running any tests next spring or summer unless a vaccine is available. The problem with that will be trusting a vaccine for what?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I plan to continue to train. Hopefully there are trials and tests next year. But if not, oh well, I am still doing what I enjoy...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I ran 3 weekend events this fall. It wasn't difficult to stay 'socially distanced' if one desired. I would hope that clubs (and the gooberment) will realize this is a relatively safe sport. I did not wear a mask at these events and never felt the need to. Perhaps next year I will.

That said, it did surprise me to see the lack of mask wearing in the photos of the national open shared in another post. (never mind - I have been informed I neglected to note the year of the national being referenced LOL)

Hopefully by next spring Covid will have either mostly run its course and/or there is an effective vaccine coming available.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Do you mean the post that references the 2009 National?
ha - I guess so, Kody! Thanks for the correction. I blame the fact that I need reading glasses for my reading my phone. LOL

It seemed a bit strange because a lot (or all?) of the photos on the blog this year people had masks on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is NO plan to cancel the 2021 NARC, it will happen in Mondovi, WI as planned. Except for the early mishap in a MN Field Trial this year. I did not hear anyone from that situation came down with COVID. We have all learned to be responsible(we hope). I trained, 3-5 days a week with a big group all summer. I worked on the Line, behind Judges at a few Hunt Tests & Field Trials this year. I have not caught COVID. Hunt Test & Field Trials will go on as scheduled in 2021. Unless a club can’t get workers, I’m sure that has happened in the past. It’s an outside sport!

·
Registered
484 Posts
The fall HRC Grand was held in October with nearly 1,000 dogs and many handlers and workers/judges. Hopefully events can continue and States don't impose their own restrictions.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
There is NO plan to cancel the 2021 NARC, it will happen in Mondovi, WI as planned. Except for the early mishap in a MN Field Trial this year. I did not hear anyone from that situation came down with COVID. We have all learned to be responsible(we hope). I trained, 3-5 days a week with a big group all summer. I worked on the Line, behind Judges at a few Hunt Tests & Field Trials this year. I have not caught COVID. Hunt Test & Field Trials will go on as scheduled in 2021. Unless a club can’t get workers, I’m sure that has happened in the past. It’s an outside sport!
In Nov 2019 there was no plan to cancel the 2020 NARC. I do hope you're right.

Hunt Test & Field Trials will go on as scheduled in 2021.
Do you know this for fact, or are you just being optimistic? Again, I do hope you're right.

The fall HRC Grand was held in October with nearly 1,000 dogs and many handlers and workers/judges. Hopefully events can continue and States don't impose their own restrictions.
??? States have imposed restrictions. This NRC would not have happened if it weren't for the efforts of Marcy Wright (Covid Coordinator), the NRC Chairs, BOD and Committee. They had to work with local, county and state agencies to assure them this would not be a super-spreader event. The participants and workers were great in complying with the rules, as were most spectators. Of course there must always be a few knuckeheads.

·
Registered
484 Posts
??? States have imposed restrictions. This NRC would not have happened if it weren't for the efforts of Marcy Wright (Covid Coordinator), the NRC Chairs, BOD and Committee. They had to work with local, county and state agencies to assure them this would not be a super-spreader event. The participants and workers were great in complying with the rules, as were most spectators. Of course there must always be a few knuckeheads.
yes sir, sorry, I knew that (about states restrictions). I should have said hopefully they don’t impose more/future restrictions for 2021 trials. I was kind of replying to Marni about her belief that all trials are good to go for 2021. That is certainly an unknown I would think.

And Marcy and the COVID team are definitely a superstars for making the NRC happen. As was the Grand committee for pulling off the Grand on State owned land in Kentucky.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hope the events continue in a safe manner as many have this year even amid the COVID pandemic. I finished a SH title on my dog this summer/early fall and regularly attended small group training sessions throughout the summer/fall and am continuing to hold them here in Florida this winter. Testing is great but even better is spending quality time training with your dog(s) and your friends, outside in fresh air and sunshine (or rain as it may be!) Those that I know who are hunters have been out already finding those ducks, geese and upland birds with their dogs. I can't think of a less risky "sport". Let's hope everyone stays safe and the events are not hugely impacted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts