RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hunt vs Train

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have the oppurtunity to spend 1 week all expenses paid either training your dog with a well known pro or you and your dog waterfowl hunting with a well known guide. What would be your choice?
Tim

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hey Tim -

I'd rather train, hands down. The experience might be much like trying to get a drink from a fire hose, but it would be well worth getting wet!

Good Luck!

Joe S.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I'd be training!! Do you have the sign-up sheet?????!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Andy

·
Registered
407 Posts
As there aren't many/any living Pro - "Amish" trainers left gues I'll have to take the guided hunt :wink:
Peake - Wonderin' when Chris, Paul or Lisa will hang out a shingle??? :roll:
PS Prolly not many guided hunts within 1/2hr drive of Butler, PA :roll: :roll:
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizers

U

·
0 Posts
I came to the game 'cause I love to hunt ducks and a dog is just part of the package. So put me in the timber and get the dog ready 'cause killin' time is here! :twisted:

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
taking a week off from work is a realhard thing for me to do $ wise, so i would hunt,as long as my dogs were welcome!
when it comes to training,i'm so far out on the fringes of how pros train that i think i would only confuse my dogs and really make the pro grind his teeth.no point in everyone being uncomfortable :D
good poll,though. i have been known to train rather than hunt.-paul

p.s.-i'm having too much fun to do that to myself,peake! :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have spent 3 days trying to soak up information from a from a well known American pro. It was just like Joe S. said, trying to drink through a fire hose.
We finished up with over 30 pages of notes.
If I had the chance I'd want to do that again.
Especially if the pro trained at some stage without a collar. I found this invaluable the last time.
Waynep.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
We'd go hunting. But since we're day dreaming here, I'd much rather spend my week hunting with a number of guides and see what I might learn from each.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Would the pro make me throw birds?

It may just be me... but i don't know any guides i could watch work and feel like i was witnessing total greatness.

Change it to "spend a week in the best flooded timber and pit blinds Stuttgart has to offer" and i don't care who the guide is, i'd have to give that some serious thought.

Shayne

J

·
0 Posts
Hunt vs Train

Hi Tim,

Don't we train to hunt? If I can bring my pooch...I'm going hunting. I'll be training when I am there...hunting. Hopefully the guide can call as good as me!

Look forward to seeing ya when the snow melts!!

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
It may just be me... but i don't know any guides i could watch work and feel like i was witnessing total greatness.

I'm with Shayne, after the hunt ,,,,,,,,,,its just a memory,,,,,,,,,after training, I can take that TO the hunt, with me and the dog EVERY time I go. I can ALWAYS hunt the timber,,,,,,,,, Pros die.

Blast

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was a duck hunter long before I was a dog owner, however, I don't really believe in guided hunts, it's not really hunting if HE scouts, sets out the decoys and calls, it's just shooting (I would say killing, but I'm not THAT great of a shot!) Hook me up with someone that actually knows how to train a dog, I need help with that, not finding the ducks. I'm gonna be at Redstar's free seminar and it will be my first time to ever even meet a pro trainer, really lookin forward to it!

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
I already know how to hunt. I always want to know more about training. So I voted I would like to train. But why does it have to be ether or? Couldn't I spend a week training with greatness at some sort of workshop or retreat, and then take the person hunting after?
Ken Bora

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
darn,

I would love to hunt....but I am not a good wing shot, so would probably just handle the dog...and in which case, I would get just as much or more out of training...

Give me a week with a good Chessie person...and I already know who I would pick...although she is not a pro.

Juli

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey Tim,

Hunt , hunt, hunt, that's my answer. Although, I have to say that burnout is starting to set in, and I've still got two months to hunt.

Steve

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
i chose the hunt, but if there was a choice to train with a few select amateur trainers, like Roy McFall , Judy Aycock, Ray Goodrich or Lanse Brown I am going training...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts