RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing the "muck boots" thread got me thinking about my next needed acquisition...hunting boots. I want a good pair of COMFORTABLE, waterproof boots that I can wear mostly to train or hunt upland with. So, I need to be able to walk all day in them, and not have my feet feel like falling off.

Any recommendations as to brand, type or place to purchase?? Oh, I also need ones with good arch support...after a bout last year with plantar fasciatis (sp), I don't want to do anything to mess up my feet again.

Thanks in advance,
Nicki

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nicki, I got my upland boots from Cabela's. They are very light and comfortable and come insulated or un-insulated. Might wanna look there for starters.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Proper fit is the most important thing. And since all feet are different and all boots are made differently, no one can tell you what brand will work best for you.
About once a year, Backpacker mag runs informative articles on how to select a boot.
Fin & Feather in Ia City has SOME people in there that are knowledgable about fitting boots.
JS

·
Registered
49 Posts
I 've been wearing Russell boots for years and I'm very pleased. They have a web page and the cost is not much more than quality made production boots. These people will make your boots to fit your feet and they have a variety of styles to choose from.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I bought a pair of waterproof Irishsetter boots last year before my elk hunt. I've never had a more comfortable pair of boots. They hardly needed breaking in. I bought them at the Bass Pro Shop close to the DFW airport. Seems like I paid about $160.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Get something that is guarenteed waterproof! (not water repellant), something with the Gore-Tex liner.
Cabelas has decent boots, as does Irish Setter........ although you will pay more for the Irish Setters. Cabelas has a great return policy too!
If you plan to use them in the winter, I'd get a half size larger and heavier socks. OR
You can take a pair of your heavy socks to a local boot store and try on various boots, just to get your size correct with heavy socks. The order from whereever you chose.

F

·
0 Posts
Gortex rules. I have several pair of gortex boots by "Rocky" they are great. I also have two pair of Danners. They are great too. The biggest thing is fit, as posted above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a pair of Danner Sharptails and found them to be very comfortable and rugged also.

They are gore-tex waterproofed;leather and cordura with vibram soles.

They just fit me perfect from day one.
Important that they are comfortable from the get-go.

lefty

·
Registered
39 Posts
Danner Rainforests.

Cabela's

Wore Redwings for 25 years or more, and will never buy another pair again. I work for the Electric Utility here in all kinds of climates, and conditions, and can wear them all day without any fatigue, then tubn around andwear them upland hunting all weekend.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I want a good pair of COMFORTABLE, waterproof boots that I can wear mostly to train or hunt upland with. So, I need to be able to walk all day in them, and not have my feet feel like falling off.
For me, Danner. Best hunting boot I have ever owned and I work in boots daily.

Now that being said. Nicki you are going to have more trouble finding a good fit because of the limited supply of good quality womens boots. So I would not get hung up on a name as much as the fit. If a Wal-Mart boot will work for you , go for it. It may not last as long but if it fits and is comfortable so what.

We had a tough time finding a pair my wife liked and finally bought a pair of Brownings' in a youth size. They were a good price, well made and waterproof. Lightweight and most important, they fit her. She has a size 7 1/2 - 8 foot.

Hope this helps.

GD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Golddogs said:
I want a good pair of COMFORTABLE, waterproof boots that I can wear mostly to train or hunt upland with. So, I need to be able to walk all day in them, and not have my feet feel like falling off.
For me, Danner. Best hunting boot I have ever owned and I work in boots daily.

Now that being said. Nicki you are going to have more trouble finding a good fit because of the limited supply of good quality womens boots. So I would not get hung up on a name as much as the fit. If a Wal-Mart boot will work for you , go for it. It may not last as long but if it fits and is comfortable so what.

We had a tough time finding a pair my wife liked and finally bought a pair of Brownings' in a youth size. They were a good price, well made and waterproof. Lightweight and most important, they fit her. She has a size 7 1/2 - 8 foot.

Hope this helps.

GD
I don't think that I'll buy a "women's" boot, b/c I have BIG and WIDE feet!! :wink: I usually buy men's tennis shoes, b/c they're cut naturally wider than are women's shoes. I understand what you meant, tho.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and pm's. I hope to find something in the next couple weeks.

Nicki

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hi Nicki ....
I searched here and low to try to find a good quality woman's hunting boot. I wanted them to be waterproof and as you mentioned they had to be light enough to wear all day upland hunting and warm enough for winter training.
I found a pair of ladies Rocky Stalker Series at Cabela's and have worn them for over four years now and still LOVE them! :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
doublereed said:
Nicki, I got my upland boots from Cabela's. They are very light and comfortable and come insulated or un-insulated. Might wanna look there for starters.
Ditto. These you can't beat for the price and Cabela's customer service/warranty is second to none. I also agree with eveyone on Danner. You will resole a pair of Danner boots several times before you wear them out. The agency I work for issues us Danner boots and have been for 6-7 years now. We switched from Rocky to Danner which was a good move IMO but Rocky also makes good boots. The only gripe I have about Danners is they tend to be a little heavy. I guess that's why you can't wear those suckers out.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts