RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Which came first?

• Hunted first, got a dog, got interested in tests/trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never hunted, just love the dogs

• I started with the dogs only but started hunting as a result

• My spouse got me started, now I do it all.

• Hunting is primary, not worried about tests/trials

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did hunting get you into the dog games or was it the other way around?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Started hunting, then found it much easier with a dog. After my first Started ribbon, I was addicted to the hunt tests.

Now, I am much more excited about the hunt test season opener than I am about the hunting season opener.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I was born into a family that hunted and had Labs, and were very active in AKC obedience.

<--------- The baby in my avatar is me forty-four years ago, when I was nine months old. My Mom is showing me our black Lab "Pat."

I attended my first field trial in 1977 as a spectator. I started running UKC/HRC hunt tests in 1986.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
My first lab was bought to replace my 9 year old German Wirehaired Pointer hunting dog that was birdy as anything but wouldn't swim. I started training the lab and entered a puppy stake at a picnic trial. I ran hunt tests for a year and went to Q's and NAHRA Seniors the next year. Now hunting matters little and training matters lots. I think I got it backwards.

S

·
0 Posts
I started...

off with parents that never hunted but loved Labradors! Was raised with them. When I was 15, a friend introduced me to hunting doves and using his dad's retriever. The light bulb went off!!!! From there I became a hardcore waterfowler that trained a whole bunch in the off season. Then, in 1997, I went to a DU test here in VA. That is where I met NAHRA, AKC, UKC hunt test people. I had no idea anything such as the hunt tests exisited. The people at the DU test were some of the nicest, most informative people I'd ever met, so 4 weeks later I was in my first hunt test. And now, I still hunt ALOT - but man I LOVE training retrievers. It is getting to be tough during the waterfowl seasons, afternoon hunt or training session?!?! I love watching the young dogs, when the light bulb goes off in their head. When they have figured out a new concept! It is really cool...

·
Registered
590 Posts
have had dogs since I was 3 and mostly had mutts always hunted finally got labs and started tests and never looked back the hard part is finding time to get enough hunting time for all my labs as I am getting old and I wear out before the dogs
David

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Started out 25 years ago with Alaskan Malamutes in OB. Got a divorce and a lab all in the same time frame. Did some OB with him then decided to go to the Labrador Retreiver Nationals to compete in OB with my dogs. In looking at the preimium I saw they offered Hunt test titles and WC title. Started with WC and it has been a very addictive slippery slope since.
I took up hunting after starting to train the dogs only because I thought it would be nice to put all this work to some good use. Started with partridge and went on to waterfowling. Not very good at either but the dogs don't know that :roll:
We are into it big time now, duck boat, decoys, all the clothes and crap that you need. Even bought a new truck. But I still look forward more to the start of testing season than hunting, but then again I love them both equally as much. Training the dogs seems to be what fills up most of my time now with a few tests in there. But hunting season is upon us now so we are hunting both upland and ducks.
Hell lets be honest, hanging out in a duck boat with your best buddies, dog and human is just as much fun as hanging out at a tailgate with almost those same buds. It really is just geography. Good dogs, good people and good beer, eh!

Margo
Who has been hanging around Region 1 too much!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have always hunted. Raised on 'bird' hunting (quail, for the uninitiated). Too many subdivisions, but still some duck hunting left, so when I ran out of bird dogs went to Labs. From there got interested in HT, then some FT playin'. But in the end, I did it all for the hunting. Have great friends from the HT, many are my hunting buddies now. Same way with sporting clays shooting, do it for the hunting as well. That's why to me, you'll never see me at a clays shoot or a HT when there is a hunting season going on....it's the reason for the season, but for others it is vice versa, and I quess that's OK, because there are getting to be fewer and fewer places to hunt...but come to think of it, there are fewer and fewer places to train and run tests too. We all may need a new hobby at some point, but I hope not. :roll:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
In 1962 got a Dachshund for the kids and took it to obedience classes. Within a couple years, I was drafted by the kennel club to help instruct the classes. One of the other instructers had field trial retrievers. I went out training with his group one Saturday morning and said, "Where the he!! have I been!! This is the most fun I've had with my clothes on ... I gotta have one of these dogs!"
After finding out what a good dog can do, I became an avid hunter. Before that, I was one of those "opening day" skybusters. Since then, in times that I have been without a dog, I don't even care to go out. It ain't hunting without your dog. :wink:
JS

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Found hunt tests on the Internet when the dog was 5 1/2 years old. Didn't train a lot (I'm sure it shows), but started running tests. Started hunting to see if she was worthy of the titles & because she really enjoyed it. Did some upland today-great flushes-so/so shooting. I don't get a big thrill from killing the birds, but I love to see my dog happily working.
M

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Miriam Wade said:
. . . .I don't get a big thrill from killing the birds, . . .
Anybody who "gets a thrill from killing [anything]" is worse than a sadist and needs to be locked up.

Hunters get a thrill from hunting. The kill is only a small part of what hunting is about.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
Miriam Wade said:
Anybody who "gets a thrill from killing [anything]" is worse than a sadist and needs to be locked up.

Hunters get a thrill from hunting. The kill is only a small part of what hunting is about.
Kevin-
I hope you don't think I'm implying that hunting is all about killing for the sake of killing. Antis would love to get that message across. That's not what I'm saying at all. My great-uncle was a game warden years ago & he used to take me with him when I was little & explained exactly why hunting is not only necessary, but also that it's a birthright.

My point is just that, for me, I only enjoy hunting I can do with my dog. It's more about having a dog that has natural ability & has been trained to be a valuable conservation tool. I enjoy the companionship & just wouldn't hunt without a dog.
M

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AmiableLabs said:
Miriam Wade said:

I don't really agree. If we gained no joy from killing the game, we may as well just take pictures and buy our meat at the supermarket. There is something that happens during the kill that I'm not sure can be explained exactly but it does not make someone bad or sadistic.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Miriam,

I understood what you meant. I just wanted to make sure no one took from it something you never intended.

-----
achiro,

I spent almost ten years battling the antis on GEnie and Compu$erve. For five of those years, I was battling them at the state capitol as a lobbyist for the state affiliate of the NRA. I have read many books, written many published articles, and given many speeches on this. None of this makes me right, but it does indicate I have thought very hard and long on it. We are sportsmen, not killers.

I can recommend some good books for you if you are interested? In the meantime, so we do not hijack this thread, we will just have to agree to disagree.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Always hunted and had dogs so I was lucky (at least in my mind I was) but I will say I am envious of watching an adult find the joy of hunting. I can only imagine what that feels like?but then again every year when that first rooster shoots up out of the cover I have to admit I have the same feeling I did when I was a kid?.just sorer and less anxious to get to the field the second day. :wink:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AmiableLabs said:
achiro,

I spent almost ten years battling the antis on GEnie and Compu$erve. For five of those years, I was battling them at the state capitol as a lobbyist for the state affiliate of the NRA. I have read many books, written many published articles, and given many speeches on this. None of this makes me right, but it does indicate I have thought very hard and long on it. We are sportsmen, not killers.

I can recommend some good books for you if you are interested? In the meantime, so we do not hijack this thread, we will just have to agree to disagree.
ijacking this thread is fine, I started it. :wink:

First of all I NEVER said we were killers. I was responding to you saying
AmiableLabs said:
And I do disagree. We can try and sugar coat it all we want for the anti's but the kill is PART of the THRILL. Sure it sounds bad to say it that way but I don't know how anyone can deny it.

Look, I agree with those that say that the thrill is about being there, its about calling that big tom in, or scouting and being on the very trail that the deer will come down. BUT, If it were ONLY about that we would all be photographers.

To me there has to be something about that moment, that very second that you decide to pull the trigger, or release the arrow. The instant you see the animal hit, that is NOT sadness I feel at that moment! This is NOT at all the ONLY reason I hunt, its a compilation of ALL of it!

I do feel sadness as I hold the beautiful bird in my hand, or kneel over the deer. As I give thanks and think about the animal in all its beauty. That is long after the action of the kill. If I had those thoughts as I pull the trigger, I would probably quit hunting.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
My ex was a hunter- born and raised near the Horicon Marsh and he got me a gun and got me interested in hunting, and I bought him a dog. When we split up he didn't want the dogs and lost interest in hunting and I didn't.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I attended my first trial in 1964 in Salt Lake City, Utah. It has remained ingrained in my memory ever since. I love dogs and find working them very rewarding. Sometimes I wish I were still in Utah, sometimes I wish it was still 1964, but I always wish to someday have an FC/AFC and don't care what color coat it is wearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually started duck hunting for my kids. They wanted to start hunting and I did not want to constantly tell them to be still and quiet in a deer stand. So I guess for me it was kinda...Kids led to ducks, ducks led to dogs, dogs led to HT's. It has worked out better than I could've ever planned. Now the kids love to help me train our dog, so I've gained more fun time w/ the girls and a new sport we all enjoy doing together.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts