RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I am new to RTF and am absolutely loving it! I am a sophomore at Northwest Missouri State (Go Bearcats!) and am in a class called Accelerated Composition. The entire class boils down to a project. For my project I have decided to focus on hunting's future and why more people should continue to be or become hunters. I will be trying to use game numbers of overpopulation, the hunting community's impact on people's life, the resourcefulness of hunters, and a few other things including the positive relationship between us and our four-legged friends. Part of hunting's future is it's past. Does anybody have any good books or online articles that has good reasons/numbers that could relate to this? Any good stories yourselves? What could I put on a brochure or flyer? I know this isn't something that is at all a normal question on this forum, but I figured who better to ask for ideas? :p thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't you think a better subject would be how the Missouri Dept of Conservation has ruined the duck hunting on public lands and how they control duck hunting but no other species that lives in Missouri

MDC=Mostly Duck Control

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
If you are really thinking about writing a piece basically in the defense of hunting or to promote hunting, I have several essays on the philosophical aspects that I think you should read. These first three I'll mention are on the "anti" side of the topic, and personally, I think they might be a good start so that you have some idea as to what learned people have said on the subject (not just the loonies). "A Reverence for Life" by Albert Schweitzer, "A Problem of Ethics", also Schweitzer, "A Damnable Pleasure", by J. S. Krutch. Three really good ones on the "Pro" side are "But it's Instinctive", by H. E. Anthony, "In Defense of the Sport Hunter", M. M. Nelson, and "Autumn Thoughts of a Hunter", C. H. D. Clarke. The Anthony essay was written as a direct response to the Krutch essay, so it is fairly important that you read the Krutch essay first to fully get the Anthony essay.
All six of these essays are in a book called "Readings in Wildlife Conservation" which was published by the Wildlife Society in 1974, and has a lot of good essays in it, although some of the hard science stuff may be a bit dated, the general principles and the philosophical essays are very good. I originally read the six I mentioned here back in the '70's, but have gone back to them numerous times in the intervening years. If you can find a copy of the book, you might find it pretty informative as the first three sections are "Perspectives" (which has the six essays I mentioned along with several others), Economics (which you are saying you will be touching on), and "Populations and Biology" another topic you have mentioned. Just did a quick search and there are quite a few copies for sale out there, and all are pretty inexpensive (less than $10.00, wonder what I paid for mine at the university book store in 1975).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Every state has a whole set of issues. Hunting in a whole is not in trouble.

The fact that you could write a book on every species. Pick one and go with that.

Most of it boils down to the regulations that the states put in place. A good example is the federal wildlife refuge right next to my home. They do their yearly burns when most every thing is hatching or giving birth. Seems counter productive, but I don't complain much as it drives them onto my land.

The bad part of hunting turkeys is we are only able to harvest 2 in the spring in Kansas. In my fields I've counted 3 different groups of 60-80 birds. 200-250 birds do more damage than deer ever can.

It's cheaper to buy a butterball from the store. Taste better too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts