RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a situation and would like some input from the people on this forum. I have a 4 year old Lab, she is unreplaceable to me and my family. She does every thing asked of her and is great in the house, I take her hunting 45, to 50 days a year she does just fine. I quit running her in hunt tests because she is soft and dosnt take pressur well. She will shut down rather quick.

So this is the situation I want to train, and run hunt tests my long turm goal is to get into the SRS. I don't feel I can do this with my current dog. My wife says no more dogs...... I found a litter I would like a pup out of I have the time to train I can afford the pup the desire is there what would you do? Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
My wife says no more dogs......
This is the first and foremost hurdle you need to work thru. Remember the old saying If Momma aint happy no one is... My second dog at the time strained my marriage, another dog is not worth a good marriage. Then we purchased some land, the wife was able to have her chickens, 8 dogs later all is good.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I dunno, they say its easier to ask forgiveness than permission. NOBODY tells me how many dogs I can have- cant believe how many people allow others to make their decisions for them- if you want a puppy buy one and someone else will have to adapt.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
"I'm gonna miss her." :evil:

JS

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
is there an echo in here? :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would pretty mcuh be in the same boat as 2Labs. In the end, only you can make this call. Some relationships can handle the "rather ask for forgiveness than permission" approach and some can't. Fortunately, I almost have the other problem with the wife wanting more dogs than we can handle. Regardless, if I were in your shoes, I would at least start by setting down with the wife and explaining that having the second dog is very important to you. I would then move on to try to understand why she is opposed to having a second dog. Hopefully this would lead to a discussion of what could be done to make her feel good about getting the dog. Getting the dog is only the first hurdle. If she is opposed to getting the dog, you are going to face the same battle when it comes to the countless hours you will be committing to training.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
When I've had a dog that could not play retriever games, I found that there are other games to train and play with that dog.

Have you explored the possibility of obedience, agility or tracking as possible alternative activities you could enjoy with the dog you have?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Ok I have a situation and would like some input from the people on this forum. I have a 4 year old Lab, she is unreplaceable to me and my family. She does every thing asked of her and is great in the house, I take her hunting 45, to 50 days a year she does just fine. I quit running her in hunt tests because she is soft and dosnt take pressur well. She will shut down rather quick.

So this is the situation I want to train, and run hunt tests my long turm goal is to get into the SRS. I don't feel I can do this with my current dog. My wife says no more dogs...... I found a litter I would like a pup out of I have the time to train I can afford the pup the desire is there what would you do? Thanks
First, ask her to attend a hunt test with you so she can see what is involved in the sport and help her understand why you want to reach a higher level of training with your next retriever and why you want to pursue retriever hunt test events. Find a local UKC or AKC retriever club and join. Ask her why she is flat out against any more dogs. What are her reasons? You can't really address the issue until you find out why she is against it? Good luck...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" attitude?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would pretty mcuh be in the same boat as 2Labs. In the end, only you can make this call. Some relationships can handle the "rather ask for forgiveness than permission" approach and some can't. Fortunately, I almost have the other problem with the wife wanting more dogs than we can handle. Regardless, if I were in your shoes, I would at least start by setting down with the wife and explaining that having the second dog is very important to you. I would then move on to try to understand why she is opposed to having a second dog. Hopefully this would lead to a discussion of what could be done to make her feel good about getting the dog. Getting the dog is only the first hurdle. If she is opposed to getting the dog, you are going to face the same battle when it comes to the countless hours you will be committing to training.
What he said.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's goin' cost you.
$2,000 for the dog and $3,000 for the diamond necklace. Expensive pup:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Flood her email with puppy pictures!!!!!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Tell her you are getting it and to get back in the kitchen where she belongs....but you might not want to take my advice,I've been married 4 times. It's not me I swear it's them lol

·
Registered
883 Posts
When I was 54, had been married for 20 years, I retired. Cleo and I built a house we had planned for 15 years that overlooked the Alabama River. It was built just the way we had planned it. We had 3 Labs. I wanted to work the dogs and I also decided to reorganize the way Cleo's kitchen was run. Cleo said that if I wanted to sell the house and move somewhere I could work the dogs, put the house on the market and if it sold we would go elsewhere. I put it on the market and it sold!

We took the money from the house, bought 80 acres in MS and moved! While I built the kennel, we lived in a fifth wheel travel trailer with a new litter of pups sheltered under the overhang of the trailer. After about two months of this I woke up one morning and told Cleo that we needed something else to live in, so she went looking and found a tripple wide trailer where we are still living in 25 years later. Same wife, different dogs several years later and many puppies later, but here we are. Just have to have married the right woman in the first place. Damn, but I'm lucky! Bill

Draw your own conclusions!!! Keeping the 80 acres kept open and working the dogs kept me out of the kitchen and we were both happy. It has been fun and enjoyable all at the same time for both of us. bill

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and new to field training. Brand new. I have two keeshonden who are pets, a border collie and an australian shepherd. I wanted a golden retriever and my husband said "no more dogs". Then in January he had hip replacement surgery. Plus I prayed that my husband would become more supportive of my hobbies. Now my husband is 100% in favor of a new (yes the fifth!) dog. He says that he is confident that I will reach my goals (obedience trial champion and NOI invite).

I was patient, supportive of HIS hobbies, and prayed. Now I am hoping it will all work out. Currently waiting on the right puppy to come along...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Is she against the idea because SHE is the one having to do 90%+ of the "not fun" work of house training, cleaning up after the dog, getting up in the middle of the night during crate training, feeding the dog, walking the dog, etc..? After all, this is supposed to be YOUR dog right?

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
I was in the same boat about 20 years ago. Got the pup... eventually got rid of the first wife. (she never did like that pup, which said more about her than the pup) Been MUCH happier ever since. Second wife encourages such behavior as new pups, hunting, expensive taxidermy... But duxbak is right, I know my jeweler and florist pretty well:cool:

·
Registered
261 Posts
When is your anniversary? That is how I got my third lab. Gave it to my husband as an anniversary gift, even let him name her. He called her Reggie after himself. We just lost her after 13 year this past weekend.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts