RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trainer asked me to enter my dogs in an AKC Master hunt test, and i forgot to do it. It closed on the 16th. The test is on the 25th. Can i do anything?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
That stinks. A couple of years ago I missed our local test when I forgot that there was an early close. I was out of town for work and my training partner called
to ask if I'd entered. "Uh, no. I was planning on entering when I got home" Doh! AKC has put the kabosh on late entries so you're either in on time or not at all.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My trainer asked me to enter my dogs in an AKC Master hunt test, and i forgot to do it. It closed on the 16th. The test is on the 25th. Can i do anything?
Run test dog :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
In AKC, with the requirement to use EE and specifically stating that there can be NO late entries, I don't think it matters if you WERE the test secretary...

·
Registered
221 Posts
In AKC, with the requirement to use EE and specifically stating that there can be NO late entries, I don't think it matters if you WERE the test secretary...
Stranger things have happened. Not often but it does help if you know the club secretary.
Bobby

·
Registered
931 Posts
Unfortunately, I have forgotten the date on several occasions over the past few years. It's frustrating I know, but rules should apply to everyone equally, no exceptions!

Arleen

·
Registered
221 Posts
Unfortunately, I have forgotten the date on several occasions over the past few years. It's frustrating I know, but rules should apply to everyone equally, no exceptions!

Arleen
I agree. I wasn't condoning this activity. Just stating that whether we like it or not it does go on. There has been some mystery entries show up after closing. Luckily I normally enter early so I won't forget.
Bobby

·
Registered
392 Posts
Missing a closing date is frustrating. Having entries on the event day is the way to run an event like HRC allows.
The HRC has a different format than AKC and it would be a nightmare to try to organize an AKC hunt test without knowing the number of entries. You wouldn,t know how many birds to buy, how much help to hire and a number of other things. Also if you were to get the secretary to slip an entry in, both the secretary and the club would be in trouble---fines etc.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Missing a closing date is frustrating. Having entries on the event day is the way to run an event like HRC allows.
That's why I've only run NADAC agility. Day of trial entries and they're STILL half the price as AKC!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The HRC has a different format than AKC and it would be a nightmare to try to organize an AKC hunt test without knowing the number of entries. You wouldn,t know how many birds to buy, how much help to hire and a number of other things. Also if you were to get the secretary to slip an entry in, both the secretary and the club would be in trouble---fines etc.
Exactly right. HRC has a maximum # of dogs per flight too which would/does make it a little easier to plan for. With AKC having no such limit on number of entries it would be a nightmare if not down right impossible since you could end up having to split flights and have no judges on standby or have judges there for additional flights and not need them. Yeah, no thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If AKC was smart they would have a late registration option (with still plenty of time for the host club to plan accordingly) but dramatically increase (2-3X) the entry fee!!! Maybe 2-3 extra days max. After paying such a premium, you would still get to participate (which I think is still their goal...) but the likelihood of forgeting or waiting until the last minute to enter would almost certinly decrease.

Increase participation and revenue at the very same time. What a novel idea!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know this HT secretary very well and if I forgot to enter our dogs I could still not get in.She gets calls after every event closes from someone who forgot or fell asleep early.Its unfortunate but still the rules are rules.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If AKC was smart they would have a late registration option (with still plenty of time for the host club to plan accordingly) but dramatically increase (2-3X) the entry fee!!! Maybe 2-3 extra days max. After paying such a premium, you would still get to participate (which I think is still their goal...) but the likelihood of forgeting or waiting until the last minute to enter would almost certinly decrease.

Increase participation and revenue at the very same time. What a novel idea!!!

I recently took this very issue (not exactly as stated) to AKC and Jerry Mann, asking if there was a way to offer an early entry discount (or late entry penalty), to allow not only for the clubs to better plan, but to try to get a little bit better picture of the success of the event compared to waiting for the last 3 hours before closing to see you entries increase by 100 entries.

The response was: No, and if you want to know your entries earlier, move your closing date. Not exactly the answer I was looking for, but I figured if there was a way to allow for a discount for entering early, then, also allow for a later entry, it could be a win/win for everyone (and I was only talking $5 fee increase), but they did not like that very much.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I know this HT secretary very well and if I forgot to enter our dogs I could still not get in.She gets calls after every event closes from someone who forgot or fell asleep early.Its unfortunate but still the rules are rules.
Steve, Just HOW WELL DO you know this HT secretary?
Inquiring minds want to know

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I think we should petition EE to add a calender reminder function so you get an email the day before close. I thought they had this function when they first came on-line, but wouldn't that be a help to everyone? If you mark the test on your EE calendar, you get an email reminder before close.

Meredith

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I think we should petition EE to add a calender reminder function so you get an email the day before close. I thought they had this function when they first came on-line, but wouldn't that be a help to everyone? If you mark the test on your EE calendar, you get an email reminder before close.

Meredith
Really? You think Entry Express should remind people to enter an event that they want to enter? Where is personal responsibility?

If it is important to enter a test and you have a poor memory, there are several things you can do personally to take care of that.....1) write it down on a calendar, marking the closing date. 2) set your cell phone up with a reminder message. 3)enter the test/trial when you know you want to go instead of waiting for the last minute. It is not that big a deal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts