RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Should speaking quietly to your dog while on honor at an AKC AA FT cause :

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been arrested by the "thought Police" for talking to my dog while honoring at an AKC, AA,test. The "police" assume that " ........I must have thought the dog was going to break......." . even though the dog was not ceeping, but sitting solid as a rock, quietly by my side.
If convicted I face the death penalty(elimination) .Who wants the retainer.
john

PS See WRC Judgeing Retriever Field Trials-Honoring Mechinacs for particulars.

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
Guilty!

Guilty! What do you want for your last meal? I know that little trick,"Good doggie, no you don't want that bird, good doggie". Firing squad or hanging, we'll be nice and let you pick. Next!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If your dog was "solid as a rock", WHY did you find it necessary to "speak" to your dog? Doesn't make sense.

Keep quiet until the dog starts to move, then speak quietly if needed, but you're still gonna get dropped in most instances.

I forgot about HT's, different game.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
you defense

:idea: not guilty by reason of insanity... you weren't talking to your dog... you were talking to yourself.......? Or, you were talking to your other personalityarguing about how to run the dog.... or, Sorry John, I'm trying to help. Everyone seems to want to convict you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh come on John. Don't be draging this crap over here when you know good and well that KG went to go mow the yard and have a beer ! Leave him alone ! We've had enough for one day. :D

I like the 5% rule brought up over there. Shut up, until you're absolutely certain that you have no choice. THEN take your chances. Otherwise, everytime you speak, you're telling the judges "my dog is just about to break." That would make it HEARING, not mind reading. There's a red flag issue with that.

Guilty, get a rope ! And I do mean ROPE, cause I would want to see how much it would take to hang yourself. IF I was judging, AND I DON'T, but if I was it wouldn't be an automatic DQ in my book, but you'd be well on your way to tightening the noose. JMUEO.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,
Kg wanted me to bring it over,in the form of a poll ,which I did not know how to do.
john

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris,
Your the best!!!!
john

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
i voted sudden death. the field trials i have run or worked at did not place a big burden on the dog to remain steady anyway,and besides these are the best retrievers in the country-they should be required to prove it.-paul

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
death

Strap him in the Guillotine, "Off with his head".

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Thanks, Chris, for fulfilling the "poll" request.

Thanks, John, for taking the challenge.

Now...when it's all said and done, regardless of how it goes, will you be happy, John??? :lol:

Keith Griffith

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keith,
No matter how it shakes out .I am going to take the advice you gave someone on one of the other forums about not judging by Consensus.
john

·
Registered
100 Posts
john fallon said:
Keith,
No matter how it shakes out .I am going to take the advice you gave someone on one of the other forums about not judging by Consensus.
john
Oh that's funny, but I suppose that also means "NO !", KG. :(

Reminds me of ole Steve Warner's song ... "Some fools never learn. Play with the fire and you're gonna get burned."

Just kiddin' ya again John. STAND UP for what you believe in man. We all need a nice target to :splat: .

:lol: :D 8)

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keith,
Happy? I'm retired, single, and all I do is play with my dogs,I'm happy. :D
john

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Is there an echo in here? :) !

Keith Griffith

PS....and you just have to wonder how many of those votes came from people who have never run a field trial, much less read the FT rulebook...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think a lot would depend on the timing, as well as the rest of the dogs work. The rules talk about slight "hissing" as not necessarily fatal. If you were giving repeated, audible "sit" commands while the birds were coming down, I think you would be in trouble.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Emily,
Why don't you take a quick look at the post on WRC? :?
john

PS. Keith I agree with your PS.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There are so many ways to give the dog a "sit" command without ever opening one's mouth, even Keith can't detect it. And he probably knows a few.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I just judge what I see Jerry.

A handler that speaks the dog on honor, or repositions his body on the honor as the guns go off, is communicating to his dog "keep your butt here." The rulebook says to interpret that, in essence, as a controlled break, an elimination fault in an all-age stake.

I can appreciate the subtle stuff...that happens all the time and is all but impossible to interpret relative to training or trialing. It's the obvious, blatant stuff that has to be dealt with accordingly.

IMHO, of course....

Keith Griffith

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Why should the standard of steadiness be less stringent for the honoring dog than it is for the working dog?????? Who's most likely to be interfered with? Unless the working dog displays some overt sign i.e. looking at the honoring handler when he speaks, how could we be certain that he wasn't being distracted. Have you ever been concentrating veeeery hard on something and had someone say something to you that broke your concentration???

Walk the plank mate :!: :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts