RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 1/2 year old CLF is a little behind on training do to my busy life but progressing very well. Here recently I have been seeing a problem and im not sure how to handle it. It might be a very stupid question but I didn't know how to search the problem so here it is. On retrieves she comes back to me but doesn't want to release the bumber. Ive noticed it starting to happpen on birds as well. Like she thinks its a game. I know my 6 year old will throw bumbers for her when he gets out of school before I get home. Could this be causing the problem by him not really "enforcing" any obedience?

Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Need more information before I can jump in with an answer. Is the dog on a training program? If so, which one? Where are you in your training program?

·
Registered
602 Posts
So does she sit at heel beside you and just freezes on it or is she playing a little keep away from you?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am following Duck dog basics. I had OB going really well before I had some military duty and then travel for work. I basically started over just to cover my bases. I do grab her collar and make her sit and tell her to sit and she does. Yes its almost like its keep away from that point. I dove hunted her last year with great results but I'm nervous about this for next season.
Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
602 Posts
So are you saying when you grab her collar and make her sit she then gives it up and you have to grab her collar in order to get the bumper or bird from her?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well yes and no. After I grab her collar she sits and I grab the bumber she bites down harder so i can't take it from her. I've noticed this with frozen bird's lately.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
do not grab bumper right away.
Grab dog, like you are. Pet dog and say good, it came back.
Still do not grab bumper. Take bumper out of your back pocket and toss it out.
Train the habbit, it needs to give one, to get the next. Get a release word and use it
I use the word release, not drop. BUt use what ever you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You also might want to make sure that if a young handler is throwing bumpers before you get home that there isn't a little game of "tug of war " going on.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My 1 1/2 year old CLF is a little behind on training do to my busy life but progressing very well. Here recently I have been seeing a problem and im not sure how to handle it. It might be a very stupid question but I didn't know how to search the problem so here it is. On retrieves she comes back to me but doesn't want to release the bumber. Ive noticed it starting to happpen on birds as well. Like she thinks its a game. I know my 6 year old will throw bumbers for her when he gets out of school before I get home. Could this be causing the problem by him not really "enforcing" any obedience?

Thanks
Gerald
It could reinforce the behavior- yes, But,.... you need to set the standard.

I gave up on kids, and my mom/wife tossing balls for Briar. He loves to play! No changing it- they love to play with him too- is what it it is. He always drops them in their lap, or won't give it up. Dawgs DO know the difference in standards and expectations. Comes with training. Briar does not do that with me. Because--- I won't let him get away with it, even though it has been reinforced hundreds of times by outside folks playing with him. Draw the line in the sand. And, do not reward for a an unwanted behavior, i. e. tossing another bumper to elicit release of the first. And, As ken said, find a release command. I use GIVE

Good luck---and Sac river would possibly make us neighbors. Where are you located?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sacriver is the river our farm borders north of Springfield Missouri. I've read and watched all kinds if training materials just never seen anyone actually make the dog hand over the bumber if they give resistance.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Sacriver is the river our farm borders north of Springfield Missouri. I've read and watched all kinds if training materials just never seen anyone actually make the dog hand over the number if they give resistance.

WELL, Might be unconventional, but if you pinch that dog on the top of his ass the mouth will open every time. The "number" will come out of the mouth. Would not be my first training choice--

Much prefer positive reinforcement-- No keep away allowed though.

Good luck Gerald--many have better advice than me-- ken is a very practical trainer with vast knowledge.

Good luck with the pup!

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Sacriver is the river our farm borders north of Springfield Missouri. I've read and watched all kinds if training materials just never seen anyone actually make the dog hand over the number if they give resistance.
many, many, many folk that I know. Would be as lost without a bumper in the back pocket as some are without an E-collar transmitter in hand. You use it for quite a few things. In this case, instead of giving a command the dog does not know and you cannot enforce. You make the dog want to let go. If your very, very good. And fast. You can hold the dog by the collar with one hand. Flip out the bumper that is always in your pocket with a wee little short arm movement. At the exact same time saying aloud your release command. And because it was such a short arm movement for the toss your free hand is already under the dogs head to grab the now released bumper the dog was holding. You say good dog good release (or whatever word you chose) and then sit because the first few times the dog will be up and pulling trying to get that bumper. So once dog is again sitting let go of collar as you release on its name. Some may think you are tricking the dog. You are.:cool:
BUT you are being consistent and not giving commands you cannot enforce and teaching the dog the words it will need to work for the rest of it's life.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
he will do the same if you blow in his ear and you don't need a moist towellet afterwards.;-)

WELL, Might be unconventional, but if you pinch that dog on the top of his ass the mouth will open every time. The "number" will come out of the mouth. Would not be my first training choice--

Much prefer positive reinforcement-- No keep away allowed though.

Good luck Gerald--many have better advice than me-- ken is a very practical trainer with vast knowledge.

Good luck with the pup!
In each case, as well as when dropping the object when you grab the flap of skin forward of the rear leg, the dog drops what is I'm his mouth in order to bite you. Be careful and quick when you employ these methods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts