RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been real busy and havnt had time to train. About a month ago, took dogs out and ran real good blinds, and today about a month later they ran fairly good marks, and (in my opinion) really good blinds. Seems like the time off helped, but doubt it,cauze theire chocolate:eek: Its getting hot here inTexas.. With the lack of training I am suprissed how they are doing.
I think what Im tryin to say is sometimes a break may be good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We take mental health days. Selfishly, i'd go nuts not running the dogs for a month. I know it's supposed to be "our time" but really it's my time

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
a quote from my wayward youth at willie stewart's palace billiard hall, "study long.......study wrong!"

·
Registered
613 Posts
I train at least 4 days a week, two of those days involve technical work with a pro, I hate to take time off but I do find that when life forces me to take a week or so off my dogs come back strong and ready to go. Go figure everything we do in life that involves stress and physical labor it is advised that we give ourselves to time to heal mentally and physically but when it comes to our dogs this "break" is seldom considered.

I consider the 4 months hunting season a vacation for my dogs. I still enforce the fundamentals but the day grind of drills and multiple marks are scaled down dramatically.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Agreed, my dogs run harder after a few days off, but they lose stamina. They run extra hard on the first setup, but a long memory mark on a third setup will have them slowed down quite a bit.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I went away on vacation and my dogs stayed with a friend and got no training for 10 days my male was also with 2 dogs in heat when I got back I ran him in a qualifing and he went out after the waterblind. Then I had to work the next week so he didn't get anymore training and was kenneld next to a dog in heat and the next weekend he took 3rd in the Q.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts