RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we have a problem. Curlies are notorious for removing things around their puppies necks. Even though we try to keep identifying ribbons on them, somehow we find multiples of them in the whelping box. Very frustrating.

Does anyone have a good method for identifying puppies which mom and the other puppies can't compromise? Obviously, it also has to be safe for the puppies.

Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestions.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
You can try snipping off hair in some areas, like left hip, right hip, left ear, etc. Or use fabric paint, which takes a little finesse to avoid a mess.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I got the idea of fabric paint from Howard N. It was on my Mick when I picked him up at the airport and it took months to go away, even with me constantly picking at it to remove it.

I used it on my singleton for identification before I started socializing her with a litter that my friend Paul Gum had at the time. I just put the tiniest little smudge on right in front of her tail and I was getting questions for a couple months, what is that little red thing on your pup. It didn't come of no how, no way!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
white out/
left ear ,right ear,left hip, right hip,head, neck, back,butt,,, In an all 1 color litter,,,duplicate for male and female. Thats 16 distinct marked pups with one color.

Pete

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
white out/
left ear ,right ear,left hip, right hip,head, neck, back,butt,,, In an all 1 color litter,,,duplicate for male and female. Thats 16 distinct marked pups with one color.

Pete
Oh, like I could remember that before a cup of coffee...or even after. Color is simpler-there are boy colors and girl colors (for puppies)

·
Registered
319 Posts
First of all then you need to have a reader. Second of all, it can be done, but would you do it yourself on a newborn?
First of all, I didn't know they were "newborns", and I didn't realize there was such a need to identify "newborns" and second of all, why do they have to do it themselves, they could have their vet do it when they do the first series of shots, or sooner. I was just offering a way of identifying pups without paint, polish, or bands.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
First of all, I didn't know they were "newborns", and I didn't realize there was such a need to identify "newborns" and second of all, why do they have to do it themselves, they could have their vet do it when they do the first series of shots, or sooner. I was just offering a way of identifying pups without paint, polish, or bands.
I think the whole purpose of this post is to identify newborns and pups with their moms. Many vets will not do microchips that early.
By the time they are getting their first vaccinations they are usually weaned and of course can have microchips inserted. Sorry you didn't understand.;)

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I had used non-toxic acrylic paint for ceramics. Put it between their shoulder blades and kept a "chart" of each color so I could keep track of their weight, etc

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I had used non-toxic acrylic paint for ceramics. Put it between their shoulder blades and kept a "chart" of each color so I could keep track of their weight, etc
I'd like to know what Bullet's chart said...chunky, a little more chunky, oh my, fat, heifer, moose.... ;)

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ellen, I used whelping bands from this seller, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ID-Bands-Wh...825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5e1c6039. Loved them, they are tied and Magda left them on, no problem. A friend had a litter of Danes and used up the remainder. She was having problems with her ribbons, rickrack, etc coming off. When she switched to these, they stayed on nicely. My only comment is some of the pale colours got dirty, and then looked very similiar.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Here is my current litter at 4 or 5 days old. I use the puppy collars to identify them. We weigh and chart them every day and with 11 pups we want to make sure they are all getting enough to eat and are gaining weight each day. A few times already we had to rotate pups because they didn't gain enough one day. I get up every 3 or 4 hrs and put the smallest pups on mom and after a day or two they all catch up. These collars are the best. They will not come off and can be adjusted easy and used until they go home and be used over and over. I bought them at a Ht off the guy that makes lanynards. ( can't remember his name but there was another thread about this a few weeks ago. Search puppy collars and I think Runnindawgs posted his name.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like the Ejay bands best. They have 6 colors, can be cut to size, and they cannnot be chewed off. You do need to check them often because they will not expand as the puppy grows. You can write on them with a sharpie marker and id pups by name or number as well as the 6 colors.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/EJay-ID-Bands.html

I have tried ribbon with velcro but the velcro can come loose and if more than one come off at a time..... I then have to guess which pup was which color.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.