RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was explaining the different stakes of field trials to someone the other day, and they asked a question I couldn't answer. After informing them that a handle in a derby could not qualify for a JAM, they asked: "What if there's only 6-7 dogs called back, and the test is such that each dog had to handle"? Would there be NO placements given? Surely a purdent set of judges would re-evaluate the test and consider scrapping, but let's talk hypothetically. Could there be a such thing as "no winner" if everyone handled in the 4th series?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Unless they scrapped the test, there would be no placements as a handle is now an automatic disqualification.

There has been a derby this year give out two placements, as all others handled.

I think the no handling rule can lead to judges calling derbies after only three series just for the above reason, OR, setting up benign tests at the end when they should be getting harder, just so they can maintain enough dogs to finish and hand out four colored ribbons.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
"No Placements Awarded" has happened in the past and it's always possible for it to happen again.

However, I think there would be a biggo fleet of Internet Buses firing up about one minute after it was announced.

Don't think I would want to be one of the Judges!! It's important that the Judges be on their toes in the event their test isn't working out so that it can be scrapped and another substituted. That doesn't imply that the substitute test should be "dumbed down" in order to get completions but a little more thought needs to be considered.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
It's important that the Judges be on their toes in the event their test isn't working out so that it can be scrapped and another substituted. That doesn't imply that the substitute test should be "dumbed down" in order to get completions but a little more thought needs to be considered.
Ditto....and preferably before they are too far into the test.

kg

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Matt G said:
"What if there's only 6-7 dogs called back, and the test is such that each dog had to handle"?
In your hypothetical the judges should have scrapped the test after 2 or 3 dogs failed when it became obvious this was too much test and there was little probability that all 4 places would be awarded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts