RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen several posts advocating giving priority entry in Master tests to dogs who are not yet MH titled. Maybe do something to create tests for dogs who already have the MH title?

Ask AKC to set up Master Tests that are for dogs who already have the title and are trying to requalify for the National? Why not change the rules to where a club can have the option to hold a test in which only dogs who currently have the MH title can be entered?

There are more and more Master only tests being held during the week in which professional handlers enter a majority of the dogs and many of those dogs are MH titled. If clubs were given the option of holding MH tests for only those dogs who were already MH titled, maybe the regular MH tests would be easier to enter for the average amateur who is trying to get the MH title on a dog?

Perhaps require a club who wants to hold a Master only test for dogs who are currently MH titled to always hold a regular MH test (in which both MH titled and non titled dogs can enter) the same year.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but if a dog passes the MN or MNA they get 2 or 4 passes toward the next National, so really only have to run 2 tests with a dog that has qualified in both. Figure every year over a 1000 dogs qualify to go, if you got rid of this re-qualification; you'd have many many 1000s of dog qualified to go. No venue could run that many dogs; they are already running ~800 with the required yearly re-qualifications; and MN series are becoming lacking just because of the massive number of dogs. Another question if we go rid of the yearly re-qualification..are there enough master level dogs just attempting to earn a master title that it would be feasible for club to continue putting on Master level test ? Looking at EE it appear <25% of the dogs running don't already have the MH title. Not sure separating those already with MH and those with not would do anything but push out dogs that don't have the title as they are the minority.

If anything rather than provide more opprotunties for dogs to requalify for the MN in separate tests. I would suggest we do the opposite, give priority in test to those who want to obtain just a MH not qualify for the MN. The MN should stop using the weekend test to weedle down their numbers, perhaps they should look into something like Regional Qualification to go to the big event, Another smaller "national type" Test and More Money for AKC, less pressure on the local club tests.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
HRC seems to be able to not require re-qualification each year for the Grand. Why cant AKC do it for MN? It all boils down to money. Same reason AKC wont take a real stand on silvers, money. Or if they only required 2 passes to re-qualify each year. Dof tests and trials have all boiled down to pro sports mostly anyway. There are fewer and fewer ams that are willing to take 2 weeks off for training and running the Grand and MN. BTW, I am not bashing pros whatsoever.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Isn't it 2 from the MN and 2 from the MNA?
  • MNH dogs will be fully qualified for the 2021 event
  • MNR dogs (dogs that have earned 2 plates) will be fully qualified for the 2021 event
  • Dogs that received a qualifying score at the 2019 event will receive credit for 2 Master passes toward the 2021 qualification
    • These dogs will need to earn 4 Master passes during the 2021 qualification period
  • Dogs that earned 4+ Master passes during the 2020 qualification period andhad a MH title at the end of the 2020 qualifying period will receive credit for 2 Master passes toward the 2021 qualification
      • These dogs will need to earn 4 Master passes during the 2021 qualification period

• All other dogs will be required to earn 6 Master passes during the 2021 qualification periodNotes:
    • No dog will receive credit for more than 2 Master passes for the 2021 qualifying period (with the exception of MNH and MNR dogs that are fully qualified)
    • These transition criteria are for the 2021 event only
This is new rulings just for this yr..

the reg rule is they carry 2 passes for passing a MNH and require 4 the next yr to qualify .

·
Registered
720 Posts
Instead of rescheduling the 2020, they voted to cancel. and let each dog carry 2 passes and require them to pass 4 more test in 21 to re qualify for 2021. That just shows its all about money. but everything is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have seen several posts advocating giving priority entry in Master tests to dogs who are not yet MH titled. Maybe do something to create tests for dogs who already have the MH title?

Ask AKC to set up Master Tests that are for dogs who already have the title and are trying to requalify for the National? Why not change the rules to where a club can have the option to hold a test in which only dogs who currently have the MH title can be entered?

There are more and more Master only tests being held during the week in which professional handlers enter a majority of the dogs and many of those dogs are MH titled. If clubs were given the option of holding MH tests for only those dogs who were already MH titled, maybe the regular MH tests would be easier to enter for the average amateur who is trying to get the MH title on a dog?

Perhaps require a club who wants to hold a Master only test for dogs who are currently MH titled to always hold a regular MH test (in which both MH titled and non titled dogs can enter) the same year.
I agree with you. I have a Irish Water Spaniel; that needs one more master pass for his Master Title. It means the world to me; since this is a rare breed; to acquire such a title. Few years back I got a Master Hunt Title on my female IWS. But test are different now; and much harder to pass with all the professionals handling the dogs. This was a sport for amateurs. I'm interested in the Curly Coated Retrievers. Similar background; But having a difficult time even to join the club; since i don't know anyone person who owns one. [email protected]

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
test are different now; and much harder to pass with all the professionals handling the dogs.
Well done with your IWS’s.
How do pro handlers make passing tests harder?

Reactions: jhnnythndr

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Field trials are unlimited entry. Just saying
Well kinda, except for the Derby (under 2 years old), the Qualifying (not for dogs who have placed in a major stake or won 2 Qualifyings), Amateurs (limiting the handler but not the dog), and Owner Handler Amateurs (further limiting the handler). Otherwise, yes, unlimited entry.;)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well kinda, except for the Derby (under 2 years old), the Qualifying (not for dogs who have placed in a major stake or won 2 Qualifyings), Amateurs (limiting the handler but not the dog), and Owner Handler Amateurs (further limiting the handler). Otherwise, yes, unlimited entry.;)
But the number of entries is unlimited within those stakes! haha

·
Registered
202 Posts
You forgot specialties & Limited and Restricted stakes :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts