RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am getting different opinons on how to deal with my dogs strained Iliopsoas muscle. One school of thought is just to rest her for about 4 weeks. No running jumping leash walks only. The other is to get PT on the muscle. A lot harder and more expensive but want to get her sound again, and back running trials. But also don't want to throw money away if resting her will do the trick. Any one been through this and what has worked or didn't work for your dog.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I've seen some really great results with cold lazer lately... have they talked to you about this? Quicker healing.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have rehabbed two dogs thru this. 2 weeks rest then a series of exercises and cold laser. The problem with doing nothing is that the muscle tightens up. You can do the rehab yourself with visits for cold laser. Email me if you would like to know about exercises.

Sue Puff

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Went through this with Sinner. Rehabbed with cold laser, injury specific exercises and 6 weeks of limited activity and recovered just in time to run the National.

My view is that I want to be sure I've done all I can to help my dog recover. If I do nothing and hope for the best...and it doesn't go well, I would not forgive myself for not doing the very best I can for the dog.

With all of the $$ I've spend on equipment, entries, training, etc I could not justify cutting corners on medical care for my dog.

I assume you've seen this link on iliopsoas injuries

http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/pdf/Proof_Non-responsiveHind-limbLamenessa.pdf

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I have taken the rehab stand. Already have had one cold laser treatment so far will do 2 or 3 times per week. I have my fingers crossed Jeff on the timing. As she is quaiified for National Am in June so that is about 2 months out. Won't have much training under her belt but beats not going.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have taken the rehab stand. Already have had one cold lazer treatment so far will do 2 or 3 times per week. I have my fingers crossed Jeff on the timing. As she is quaiified for National Am in June so that is about 2 months out. Won't have much training under her belt but beats not going.
The good news is that you aren't facing the TPLO. Where is she going for rehab?

For what it is worth, Sinner was injured in early September and was able to resume light training by November. Your timing is tight for sure. All you can do is give it your best shot and see how she does. Here's hoping she does really well and we read about you being in the 10th Series in June.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Carbon was out about 2 months, then light work. We did laser and a LOT of stretching, strengthening, build muscle rehab, so going back to work was not that hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts