RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Trap passed, last year August.
Broken heart, no desire to hunt, and just plain lonely.
He was a good boy. Only took him to Senior level, but was an awesome hunting companion.
I got a new pup 5 weeks ago that is very closely related to Trap, and his size.
I like big boys who can handle geese with ease.
I changed it up a little this time.
Trap was a 1.5 yo, started boy, where Finn, is an 8 week old pup.
He just turned 13 weeks old, and is weighing in at 34 pounds !
1 more round of shots before the doors open, and we start to explore the world.
So far he sits, to command and whistle, comes when called, working on whistle, retrieves to hand, but only a few times, as he get sidetracked easy, and goes to the door and whines to be let out.
So many books, and videos now..
Where do I start ?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Mark, well done you. I'm following a similar road with a 16 week old also named "Finn"!

He just turned 13 weeks old, and is weighing in at 34 pounds !
I fear you've been mis-informed, this is what's technically know as a foal!o_O My lad scaled out at 28 lbs this morning. He's got a sit on the whistle, voice and hand signal, stays now for 30secs (don't ask for more) and recalls to whistle, arm signal and voice. Like you, we have a few naive retrieves, but I'm not giving that much attention just yet. Heel work is a sight to behold, but not in a good way. Onwards and sideways!

Best of luck to both of you on this wonderful journey; do keep us in touch on your progress. Piccies please.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
First off - it is against the rules to post anything about a new puppy without pictures of the little ankle biter. Congratulations on the new pup!

Second - you are correct - tons of great material. I really like some of the online classes Connie Cleveland/Pat Nolan have for basic obedience and collar conditioning. For retriever stuff - pick any of the top trainer's video series to get a handle on progression. Lardy, Graham, Farmer/Aycock, Hillmann - all are good because they show how to correctly progress through the various stages of getting to a finished retriever.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off - it is against the rules to post anything about a new puppy without pictures of the little ankle biter. Congratulations on the new pup!

Second - you are correct - tons of great material. I really like some of the online classes Connie Cleveland/Pat Nolan have for basic obedience and collar conditioning. For retriever stuff - pick any of the top trainer's video series to get a handle on progression. Lardy, Graham, Farmer/Aycock, Hillmann - all are good because they show how to correctly progress through the various stages of getting to a finished retriever.
Here's Finn at 8 weeks old, and 14 pounds. We just picked him up at the airport.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Finn is one lucky dog! He’s gonna have a great life! Congrats Mark!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Mark, have fun with the new pup. Didn't you get Trap from WRL? The new pup too?

Jeff G

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Mark, I've wondered about Trap. He was such a special dog; you and he were so lucky to have one another.

If Finn is half the dog that Trap was (as you say) and I'll bet he's just as much as Trap, just different, you'll be back in dog heaven. Heck, you probably already are! Hope you're doing well! Cheryl and I are up in MT now (up the road from labsforme as a matter of fact)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, I've wondered about Trap. He was such a special dog; you and he were so lucky to have one another.

If Finn is half the dog that Trap was (as you say) and I'll bet he's just as much as Trap, just different, you'll be back in dog heaven. Heck, you probably already are! Hope you're doing well! Cheryl and I are up in MT now (up the road from labsforme as a matter of fact)
He was a wonderful dog, Chuck.
Never a problem with him.
He and I really bonded. It was almost like he could read my mind.
I would look at him, and ask " who are you? Are you someone from my past?"
My wife would say " God sent you an Angel".
With all of us hunting NAPI, and the local waters, the guys and I were thinking he retrieved over 3k birds.
Finn's grandma, is Trap's full sister. On the sire side, Trap's dad, and a half brother, by dad, are involved.
There is alot of Trap in Finn.
And, yes, Trap came from WRL, and so did Finn.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Mark, watching the two of you together was magic. He was YOUR dog. It was pretty incredible. Not just in the field but watching him follow you into a convenience store. Its one of my favorite memories. The kind of relationship people write books about. And I've been around a LOT of dogs. I trust Finn will be the same, but different.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Time does fly. I hope you and Finn have a blast. They grow so quickly. Please tell Lee Jeff G says hi. I have known her since the early 90s from hunt tests. Mt is a lot different than NM. Huh Chuck? :)

Jeff G

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny I know you both! Little more water up here and a lot more retrievers
I miss Trap every day.
I carry a small epoxy rectangle with his ashes, and some hair in it every where I go.
I have another super glued in the buttstock of my 11-87, so he still goes hunting with me.
Bob Cain made me rock. It's a cherished possession.
I'm teared up, so enough of Trap.
Where should I start with who's program ??

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
who's program - what a question. First, you know how to teach obedience and start there. Then, how do you learn best? Some people do better watching videos, some by reading, some by demonstration. Demonstration needs a talented amateur or pro, but there are good video and written guides. Hands on, is Dave Eighmy still working for Farmington PD? Dave does well with his dogs. I think I still have his phone number if you don't. I'd train with Dave. Lardy's Total Retriever videos are classic and I hear Evan Graham's Smartworks material written and video material is very good. I think that's where I'd start. If Eighmy is available, or the Lardy or Graham material. And you're mainly a hunter, so Charlie Jurney's Finished Retriever would work well for you, too. Too bad Sonya is south of Albuquerque because regular training days with her would be good. She's trained plenty of MH and some QAA dogs as well, but she's too far away.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
who's program - what a question. First, you know how to teach obedience and start there. Then, how do you learn best? Some people do better watching videos, some by reading, some by demonstration. Demonstration needs a talented amateur or pro, but there are good video and written guides. Hands on, is Dave Eighmy still working for Farmington PD? Dave does well with his dogs. I think I still have his phone number if you don't. I'd train with Dave. Lardy's Total Retriever videos are classic and I hear Evan Graham's Smartworks material written and video material is very good. I think that's where I'd start. If Eighmy is available, or the Lardy or Graham material. And you're mainly a hunter, so Charlie Jurney's Finished Retriever would work well for you, too. Too bad Sonya is south of Albuquerque because regular training days with her would be good. She's trained plenty of MH and some QAA dogs as well, but she's too far away.
Dave is going to get Finn in 2 or 3 months, once his adult teeth are in.
I'm trying to get him started as best I can.
Dave retired from the pd. Now works for the Ute Tribe.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Way to go Dave! I taught a couple of ARPA classes for the Ute PD. they seem like they are quite the professionals.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Way to go Dave! I taught a couple of ARPA classes for the Ute PD. they seem like they are quite the professionals.
Gundogsupply is sold out of Mike Lardy's total retriever training dvd's, with a possible early January 2022 restock.
Anyone have the series or copies for sale ?
Finn is already starting to retrieve to hand, and learning whistle commands, at 3.5 months old.
He gets his final shots this week on the 5th, and can start going out next week.
Parvo is bad around here, so he's been well sheltered.
Now, we can start exploring the world, and get socializing going.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts