RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 17 month old started male lab from lee of wind river labs.
My wife and I drove to albq., last night after a full days work and picked him up.
Poor guy. Gave him a bit if water and some food, and we didn't get half way to the hotel, when he puked on the back seat.
Had a great night, and just got home a bit ago.

All I can say so far, is, Thank You lee. He is a wonderful dog.
Now for some adjusting to his new home, and the training begins.
Thanks for a great site, and hope to get him more than ready for duck season.
He has already bonded to me. Follows me everywhere, listens perfectly, and is very handsome.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Congratulations Mark! I know you are going to have a wonderful time with him. Let him be "just a pup" for a while, and about the time he is ready to start work we will be back in the area if you want other dogs and people to train with. Most of all, have a ton of fun while he is little, doesn't last long enough.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You got him already? Cool! Now, can you take him to work? I know you have room in the cab.

Good to meet your wife last weekend. Hope you had a good time.

I have to play farmer this weekend, but I'm looking forward to meeting him.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if I can ? Plus, where Do I make my swamper sit ? On the floor if I could get away with it!
Just gimme a holler when ya want to get together.

We just got back from a walk, he's a wonderful dog. My wife is really starting to bond.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Won't your swamper understand?

I will. I'm anxious to meet the young man. If we finish early on Sunday - or are you working this weekend (as if they tell you in advance)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a call late last night to go to Kansas for 3 days.
Went in this morning to leave, thru a fit, and now don't have to go !
So, today is getting food for him, and a new piece if carpet for the pen.
I have to move a drilling rig from up by cortez, to the yard tomm. so it won't be a good day.

Last night was terrible, he was in his crate in the living room, and whined, then howled. I slept on the decliners. Ling as I am around him, he is fine. Now he's in the pen and whining bad. He is real attached to me already. The wife is trying, but it seems he is only focused on being with me. He follows me everywhere already. I say nothing to him, he just seems to know already he's my buddy. The wife calls him, and he just looks at her, while laying next me, and won't leave me.
How Do we get him to responded to her as one to listen to as well as me.
I mean this dog is my shadow, I don't even have to say anything to him. He just seems to sense want I want him to Do. I stop walking, and he is at heel, and sits, I was on the back patio on the phone and he peed, and came to me and laid down on my feet, I walk arround the house, the neighbor dogs are barking, and he acts like they aren't even there.
And this is with having him less than 24 hours !

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Sounds like you found the right dog and he the right human.

He'll warm up to your wife soon enough. Focusing on you if you're there and probably act the same towards her when you're not around.

I have one that follows me to the bathroom and waits outside the door as if I have a secret passage in there and might not come back...

·
Registered
285 Posts
And this is with having him less than 24 hours !
That's part of the reason. He's had a lot of change in the last couple of days. Some of the whining, shadowing, etc is just anxiety. As he settles in I bet he gets a little less clingy. I wouldn't make a huge deal out of him listening to the wife just yet. If he's still blowing her off in a couple of weeks, have her do some obedience training with him. I would bet that as he settles in, the problem disappears though.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to post on my phone. Soon as I get time to figure out the laptop, and the 10 character thing, ill post pics, or someone wanna send me their email, ill send some so they could post for me.

Wife is home planting the garden, and trap is in the pen. He won't mind her.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have your wife be the one who feeds him...ALWAYS...for the next month or so. Not even a cookie from you or a scrap of toast.

When she feeds him, he doesn't get fed until he sits, lays down, heels, stupid pet tricks, etc...what ever commands SHE gives him. I don't know what feeding schedule you are on but while you are working on this he could be hand fed multiple times per day be the wife in conjunction with the obedience work.

AND you can not be hovering in the back ground making sure she and the dog do it right! They need to work this out on their own.

Also, will he retrieve a bumper or ball? DUH!:p Who is throwing those for him in the yard? Your wife or you? Same drill as with the food. Chuck the ball and obedience before the next throw. And you no where in sight!

Does she play with him? Cause she has to incorporate play into the above methods also.

Have fun!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've never had a lab get sick in my truck. Was it possible that he got overheated? I have had problems with seperation anxiety. Mostly chewing and destroying furniture. If you leave him alone in the house. I suggest you keep in his kennel when gone he should get used to it after a while. I got some sour apple spray for my furniture and leave a chew toy for my dog when i have to be gone. This seems to have solved my problem. Another way is to leave for a short peroid of time and return say 5min and vary your time being gone if you don't want to keep him in his kennel. Sounds like he's already bonded to you. Who feeds him? If it's only you I suggest you have the wife feed him for a while and see if that will help about two weeks should do it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Today is our 3rd full day with him. I worked all day, so she had the day to herself with him.
He is a big puppy still. She was planting the garden, and he heeled with her everywhere. He tried to help her plant, the got into the running water, and mud. Got her mad he would not stay, on the patio with a stay command, drinking the water, and stepping in the mud wasn't good enough, she said he laid down in it and tried to roll around in the mud ! Dog hosing time. He's a big puppy.

She is feeding him, and shares in the control on our walks thru the neighborhood. She said he is good with her, but we think she is just not used to a shadow. We think he is just getting adjusted to us, as she said he got better as they spent more time together.
Just need more time to adjust to a new home, and owners.

We took him to a local pond last evening, and he does water doubles beautifully, same as at the park.

Were gonna wait a bit til more training starts. We are more or less just doing ob stuff.
I'm going to get with chuck, and learn to control what trap knows already and learn/teach more.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
I have to post on my phone. Soon as I get time to figure out the laptop, and the 10 character thing, ill post pics, or someone wanna send me their email, ill send some so they could post for me.

Wife is home planting the garden, and trap is in the pen. He won't mind her.
There is no reason for him to not obey her. She's probably "asking" and not commanding.

Seeing as I know Trap best, rather than ask people on RTF who have no idea about his personality, you might ask me.

He IS a big puppy. He IS in a new enviroment. And there IS going to be a learning curve. One thing at a time.

You are expecting way too much way too soon. RELAX.....take a breath and let the dog settle in.

If you put him in a crate and he whines and barks, tell him to SHUT UP and BE QUIET. He's been crated plenty in the house. The more you "baby" him, the more he will expect the behavior to be acceptable.

WRL

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks lee,
Telling him that last night worked.
She and I talked about her day, and you are correct. She didn't TELL him what she wanted. She knows now, after seeing him with me, she needs to be more firm. I tell him what I want and he listens.
But,
Thank you lee. He is wonderful, and you are correct, he needs to be told what you want, not babies. Well, most times anyways ! I'll still baby him in certain things !
No junk food tho....

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Thanks lee,
Telling him that last night worked.
She and I talked about her day, and you are correct. She didn't TELL him what she wanted. She knows now, after seeing him with me, she needs to be more firm. I tell him what I want and he listens.
But,
Thank you lee. He is wonderful, and you are correct, he needs to be told what you want, not babies. Well, most times anyways ! I'll still baby him in certain things !
No junk food tho....
Be firm, fair and give him time and love.

HAVE FUN!

WRL

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few days with us now, and we have a happy , bouncy, loving, and quiet, big puppy ! He's super smart too.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Learning how smart he is. I wouldn't doubt my dually would disappear, and the cops would find it at the pond, with him swimming.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts