RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been looking at different dog foods and their guaranteed analysis in terms of ratios of protein vs fat.

I know I am going to ask a general question and I know how you have to see how each dog is affected by a different food but hear me out on this one please.

The question I have is for those who have raised or have many dogs in the kennel at one time and feed them all the same food.

Has anyone seen a dramatic difference in feeding a dog a 30/20 blend of food as compared to a 26/16 blend food? My one dog has had an issue with looser stools lately and I am thinking that since I am feeding a 30/20 blend that it maybe too rich for him and am thinking about going to a 26/16 blend.

Possible pros/cons of doing this.
Experience of doing the same thing

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
That's pretty loose of a question not knowing brand you are feeding, how much you feed, and how active your dog is. I would probably do a fecal (melting snow) and coccidia start to muleiply like crazy in the spring, try some yogurt and pumpkin, and try cutting back on their food a little before changing foods. I have fed maintenance and performance and I'm currently feeding performance because it's actually cheaper for me-I just don't feed as much if the dogs start putting on weight. Some dogs may be busier on performance and if they are kenneled during the day and "busy" I have put them on a maintenance formula. Basically, it does not make that much difference if they are not being worked hard.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
  • Eukanuba Premium Performance
  • 4 Cups a day
  • Dog is in a crate during the day and out until the next morning.
  • Walked 3 times a week and allowed to play in the back yard for a few hours a day after work.
  • Now with more daylight later in the evening I will be training 2-3 nights a week on drills or a marking setup and then once a weekend on marking setups and maybe drills also depending on time and schedule.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
  • Eukanuba Premium Performance
  • 4 Cups a day
  • Dog is in a crate during the day and out until the next morning.
  • Walked 3 times a week and allowed to play in the back yard for a few hours a day after work.
  • Now with more daylight later in the evening I will be training 2-3 nights a week on drills or a marking setup and then once a weekend on marking setups and maybe drills also depending on time and schedule.
I would try cutting back to 3 cups a day and see what happens. You can increase a little when he is being worked harder. That's more than I feed my inside dogs that get Performance.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try cutting back to 3 cups a day and see what happens. You can increase a little when he is being worked harder. That's more than I feed my inside dogs that get Performance.
I also ordered some of the Probios that you had suggested to me a while back. I'll see if that will help a little bit. I may be being to preemptive here since his training will start to pick up here again so things may even out but I'll see what happens with the probios and cutting back a little. He does stay really lean all year though so I don't think I have a worry there though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I tried Pro Plan Performance which is 30/20 with my Labs and had the same problem, switched to Turkey and Barley formula and everything is great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts