RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few thoughts from a ft newbie sitting in the gallery...

-First off I'd like to say that everybody was really nice. Any questions I had were answered. Lots of smiles and everybody was very polite.
- I met Mr Magnusson. What a great guy, he is very proud of his propety and I can see why. What a great place for a trial!
-The workers did a great job. A lot of people did a lot of hard work and it seemed to go smoothly.
-I was only able to attend on Friday and Saturday, but I really felt like I learned a lot. (I would have loved to ask the handlers some questions but I didn't feel it was the appropriate time.)
-I was so impresed with the dog work. The length, factors and memory were very different from what I've seen at HT's.
-I thought the handlers were great. I would have loved to picked their brain on a few things.
-I was very surprised at how calm and under control the dogs were. Their holding blind and line manners were outstanding. I think I was expecting to see some "on the edge" dogs but that was not the case. I think this is a credit to not only the dogs but their training too.
-The 10th was really cool. All the dogs did incredible work. I didn't envy the judges at all. The bar was raised so high you wondered if the slightest little bobble would knock you out of it.
-Chads boy Trav was a deserving champion. He is so fast and fashy you couldn't take your eyes off him. What a great feeling it must be for Chad to have two champions under his roof.
I'd also like to give a shout out to Lake Park Diamond In The Ruff and Charles Bearden. I though he ran a great 10th!!
I had a great time and I plan on attending a week end trial again this summer..

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had a great time and I plan on attending a week end trial again this summer..

There are 3 Back to Back FT in August here in MI:

*Michiana at Omega Farms August 17-19
*PRTA in Fenwick on the Flat River grounds August 21-23 (Tuesday - Thursday)
*Flatriver Retriever Club in Fenwick, MI August 24 -26.

Then in the Fall Wolverine Retriever Club September 21-23, not sure where yet. Normally its in Lum, MI, it still could be there or these two spots Omega Farms or Fenwick, MI.
The other Fall FT in MI is The Labrador Retriever Club up on the same grounds the 2012 National Amateur just was held on the first weekend of October.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Laker, nice to read your first impressions of a Field Trial! Glad you enjoyed it!

Please pass your feelings on to others that have never been to a FT, or only a couple, that FTers are not a bunch of elite, backbiting snobs. A much too common misconception.

JS

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Laker, nice to read your first impressions of a Field Trial! Glad you enjoyed it!

Please pass your feelings on to others that have never been to a FT, or only a couple, that FTers are not a bunch of elite, backbiting snobs. A much too common misconception.

JS
I was glad I went. It was good for me as a very amateur handler to see dog work at that top level.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I was glad I went. It was good for me as a very amateur handler to see dog work at that top level.
Kudos to you for keeping an open mind...to base your opinion on what you actually saw, rather than find things to support previously held convictions.
It's a team sport. The relationship between handler and dog, has a lot to do with performance.

I think you just saw that.. Go again... you will see more..:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Greg - Glad you were able to make it up and got such a positive impression for field trials. They really are allot of fun and challenge handlers to push beyond what seems possible with their dogs.

I would have said Hi, but I was out throwing that long retired bird in the 10th series. Had a real good seat to see how each dog did on it. Very cool opportunity.

I would highly suggest you come out to another weekend trial soon. You'll be hooked and will likely soon be training toward bigger goals.
Dan

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
A few thoughts from a ft newbie sitting in the gallery...

-First off I'd like to say that everybody was really nice. Any questions I had were answered. Lots of smiles and everybody was very polite.

-I was very surprised at how calm and under control the dogs were. Their holding blind and line manners were outstanding. I think I was expecting to see some

This was what really stood out to me when I went to my first trial. I had run some hunt tests and heard the stories. What I found is quite the opposite, the dogs were very calm and well trained. I saw much worse behavior issues at the HT... It is a testament to great training.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan, I plan on attending another trial soon.
You must have had a great view from that station..;)
I felt like any of those dogs in the 10th could have won it....outstanding dog work!!! See ya soon,,Greg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts