RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently finished FF with my Pup he is a left side heeling dog so his left ear was the ear that I used to pinch. I noticed this morning that his left ear is red on the inside and very very dirty much dirtier that his right ear. Could this be related to the ear pinch or could it be ear mites or some other problem. I cleaned his ear out today with rubing alcohol on a cotton ball and a several que tips. Is there anything else I should try before I go to the Vet?

I doesnt seem to bother him at all not head shaking or scratching so Im not sure what is going on?

Thanks for the help.

Jonathan

G

·
Yes, ear pinch is usually the cause.

PLEASE NEVER use rubbing alcohol again. :) I'm cringing thinking about it! It's painful for one. And it can cause more inflammation.

Just use some standard ear cleaner. Fill the canal, rub it in, let the dog shake and dry off gently only the parts you can see. Do that for a few days or a week and it should be fine.

If not, you can use some ear antibiotic, which you could get from your vet, to help soothe it and prevent infection.

-K

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
As Kristie said, never use alcohol. With certain ear infections, the alcohol can actually cause permanent nerve damage resulting in deafness. What was recommended to me was a solution of a pint of witch hazel with about 3-4 tablespoon of powdered boric acid. Your dog may have a yeast infection which usually calls for Otomax.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well just to be clear I didnt poor rubbing alcohol in his ear.. It was on the swab to help cut the wax but I wont be doing that again! It is scary how much I dont know about my dog.....I feel like a jerk. What is the purple stuff? If this doesnt clear up in a week or so with OTC cleaners Ill be heading to the vet I guess. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Dogs can get a hematoma on their ears. I'm not saying that your dog does and ear pinch doesn't seem to work good until their ear is pinched a few times. A good way to help heal the ear is to put neosporin or something similar and then cut a nylon off at the toe and put that on the dogs head preventing the ear to flap when they shake preventing re injury to the ear. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reese does lots of swimming and the other day he went to the swamp with me so Im sure that didnt help Ill check out the Purple stuff Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey while we are on the topic of Inflamation I noticed after Reese went to the swamp with me He had a line around his nose before his hair gets thicker where his skin seamed swollen and inflamed I assume this was from the "sawgrass" judging by how cut up my arms were. Will Neosporine or some other topical help with this? I think it may also be sunburned? Has anyone else had this problem?

G

·
Hey while we are on the topic of Inflamation I noticed after Reese went to the swamp with me He had a line around his nose before his hair gets thicker where his skin seamed swollen and inflamed I assume this was from the "sawgrass" judging by how cut up my arms were. Will Neosporine or some other topical help with this? I think it may also be sunburned? Has anyone else had this problem?
NO! We don't!!!! QUIT beating your dog up!!! LOL, I'm joking. I have never seen his before. I would carefully clean it, NOT with alcohol, but some warm soapy water very gently. Then you can try some neosporin, but make sure you don't get any up near his eyes. Just keep it down low and then keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Thanks for the link and in pdf format! :D
I robbed it from a post Howard Niemi made some time ago and saved it to my favorites. After 2 weeks of trying to get ear gunk under control with ear wash my vet gave me I made up a batch of the purple stuff, ears were back to flesh colored and clean and clear within 4 days.

Word to the wise, apply it outdoors and wearing bad cloths.... don't ask how I figured this out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts