RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get into the law enforcement career and i noticed lubbock PD was hiring. I was wanting to gain some more information on the department, neighborhoods, and schools. But most importantly on the hunting around there. I would be moving from CO so im sure id probably have to give up elk hunting but I would still be able to come back and do that if I wanted. How about deer, turkey, hog, duck, goose,?

·
Registered
278 Posts
a guy that works for me use to live there, I will ask but from what I have heard from family in CO, I would stay there, ha ha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used to guide down in Lubbock during the winter for Canadas mainly, but we would shoot some ducks also. There are plenty of big dear and hogs around too. Can catch some big stripers. Also the cranes are in that area in big numbers!

The goose hunting is great. There are a couple of guide services down there that do really well. I always had a blast being down there. Consistent shooting out of peanut fields for geese. Sometimes would set up in the playa lakes and do a combo hunt. Even with the guide services, there are still plenty of opportunities to get out, the guides mainly have the fields on the perimeter of town locked up. You just have to drive further out of town, find smaller pockets of birds and get busy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am trying to get into the law enforcement career and i noticed lubbock PD was hiring. I was wanting to gain some more information on the department, neighborhoods, and schools. But most importantly on the hunting around there. I would be moving from CO so im sure id probably have to give up elk hunting but I would still be able to come back and do that if I wanted. How about deer, turkey, hog, duck, goose,?
I live in Lubbock there is not a deer season in Lubbock county but east of lubbock there is a deer season. Hogs are every where no shortage. Duck isn't bad you have to know where the water is and geese there is a good season for them. I am on the fire dept here pd hires often shouldn't have trouble getting hired.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
You are surely too young to know the Mac Davis song "I Thought Happiness Was Lubbock Texas In The Rear View Mirror" but it pretty much details the love/hate relationship some have with West Texas. Hot and windy in the summer and cold and windy in the winter, dust storms that blot out the sun, but Lubbock is a college town (Texas Tech) that has the amenities of most college towns, good restaurants, an educated population, and some culture. You are also close to some of the best waterfowl hunting to be found and West Texas has abundant deer, turkey, and hogs. There are certainly more scenic places to live but there are also much worse places to live if you don't mind the flat harsh landscape.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im in southern CO and trust me the wind blows here a decent ammount so the wind wouldn't be somethin im not aware of. Anybody have info on school districts, cost of living, or the police department as a whole?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts