RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've just joined my local retriever club yesterday, but I read that my now 8 week old puppy should be introduced to a dead pigeon by 8 weeks. I don't know where to get a dead pigeon, & of course, haven't heard from the club yet (had to pay by snail mail as they don't take Paypal).

Is this going to ruin my pup? I have a bumper & could tape some feathers on it, would that help?

I gave him a feather already & he was very interested, but took it away before he could start trying to chew it.

My training DVDs are on the way but not here yet, so I've been watching Pat Nolan's videos & doing the Here, sit, and dixie cup drills to teach recall:
http://www.trainingretrieverpuppies.com

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Hi,

Is this going to ruin my pup? I have a bumper & could tape some feathers on it, would that help?

I gave him a feather already & he was very interested, but took it away before he could start trying to chew it.
Duct tape the feathers to a puppy bumper and you will be fine. You will NOT ruin him if you don't get a live pigeon by 8 weeks. It's true that it's best dogs see a live bird in the first 6 months but it is not that rigid to see them at exactly 8 weeks. Where did you read that?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Baloney! An old wives tale. Excuse me ladies.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Nonsense. My oldest never saw a bird of any kind until he was 17 months and is a bird crazy fool. My youngest never saw a live pigeon until he was 9 months, but was picking up full size dead ducks at 10 weeks. (that did not last long as he valued them a little too much. After FF he has a super nice mouth and delivery)

I too would like to know where you read this. Never heard it before. Remember to have lots of fun with pup right now!

·
Registered
506 Posts
As you can see there are a bunch of opinions on this subject. I would doubt that your pup will be ruined if he is not intoroduced to birds by 8 weeks. However, i do believe that the younger you intoroduce a pup to his environment, birds and water the better off you are for future training.
There is nothing written in stone when it comes to dog training, books and videos are a guideline not a bible. Enjoy your pup, let him be a puppy, life will get more difficult quick enough as he grows.
Good luck
GG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts