RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm reading tom dokkens' book and have a question. im at the e-collar training part and he mentions doing obedience with distractions and eventually another dog thrown in as a diversion and this raised a question in my mind

i have a friend that has a 6 month old lab (only person with a dog i know and live close to) and it is completely unruly. no training, no obedience no nothing. nor is there any plan to as his wife is a smother-er when it comes to that dog (jumping on table for food, no punishment, gives in at a whimper) at what time if any would it be ok for them to meet? i personally think that her unruly behavior may rub off on him at a young age in the middle of my training.

if it was solely up to me the two would never meet. but the wives get to plottin and scheming and im sure it will be unavoidable on our weekly hang outs at one anothers house sometime in the future. after obedience? after handling training? never? i've ruled her out as one of the diversions unless if on a leash you would think thats ok?

btw i'm all ate up with this stuff. the breeder emailed me today and said pups are on the ground. may 14th is the big day!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'd pass on the get together with the wild child. Im not familiar with your area, but when your pup is done his puppy boosters I'd look for a dog park, ball diamond or soccer field to find other well socialized dogs to play with. The wild one is likely to over whelm your pup or encourage it into play, which can lead to you having to over correct and possibly burn out your pups listening ears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts