RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new golden pup in August. It will be 7 weeks old when I bring it home. I am living with my parents right now until I go back to school. My parents have a 2 year old female Anatolian Shepherd. She is a guard dog by nature and is a little territorial of our house and yard. I will get back home with the pup at about 2:00 am, so I don't really see any way of introducing them off site away from her "territory" until the next morning. Once I get the pup, I am only staying with my parents for about 2 weeks until I move back to school. Do yall have any suggestions as to properly introducing the dogs? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought i would have the same problem when i brought my lab pup home last year. Turned out not to be a problem. I think even the most dominant dogs will recognize a puppy when they see one and won't see the little guy as a threat. There may be some moments where the older dog puts the pup in his place. When i brought my pup home, the old guy told him off constantly for three weeks. Then one day, the old guy decided he wanted to play and they've been best friends ever since. I would recommend doing your best to keep a close eye on them whenever they're together, but just remember that sometimes an older dog telling a young pup to take a hike isn't always a bad thing. As long as things don't get too out of hand, you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
make sure the new pup bonds with you more than the old dog. it's only for two week I realize but you want to make sure the main connection your pup has is to you

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am not too worried about the two dogs bonding too much. The anatolian is a sweetheart but a lazy POS, she literally sleeps and lounges around the house all day long. I am expecting my pup to be much more active and want to spend time in the yard with me. I will keep a close eye on how they interact. Should I be worried about the pups spirits getting damaged permanently by getting put in his/her place too many times?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am not too worried about the two dogs bonding too much. The anatolian is a sweetheart but a lazy POS, she literally sleeps and lounges around the house all day long. I am expecting my pup to be much more active and want to spend time in the yard with me. I will keep a close eye on how they interact. Should I be worried about the pups spirits getting damaged permanently by getting put in his/her place too many times?
Only if the older dog's correction is too harsh. If the shepherd is not used to other dogs and gets very annoyed with pup and really cracks down on it, it can really impact the pup's memory banks. At 7.5 weeks to 8 weeks, the pup will be starting into a "fear stage" of its development. If the older dog is over the top mean to the pup, it may cause him or her to be really fearful of dogs and other things for a while. This probably won't happen, though.

But make sure you are right there on the floor between them when they are meeting. Remember, too, it will take about 2 or 3 days before the pup starts to act like it's real self. At first, it may be shy and careful and laid back while it feels out the new environment. On the 2nd or 3rd day, he/she will probably be more confident and a lot more energetic. This is the time to really watch pup with older dog. Pup may take a running bulldoze right into the old dog to initiate play and this many annoy the heck out of older dog and cause a big correction.

But in my opinion, lots of little corrections are a good thing. If the older dog puts pup in check several times a day, this helps teach pup some manners.

Jennifer

·
Registered
391 Posts
For two weeks, keep them apart. Use the time to bond with your new pup. Building the relationship between you two is way more important than dealing with issues of other issues.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
All it takes is for the older dog to grab the puppy by the head and shake it a couple of times to kill it. Just be careful until you are sure everything is ok between them and the puppy understands the boundaries. Food can be a problem. Where food is, was, or will be can bring out territorial behavior from the most laid back dogs.

Steve

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm with Steve and Joseph.
2 weeks???
Keep them apart.
Shepards are unpredictable(no Offense)
Puppies are babies that don't know any better.
I make it a habit NOT to introduce a puppy to an older dog till about 22weeks of age.
By then I am there everything.
Sue

·
Registered
325 Posts
All dogs can be unpredictable, My Neutered Lab Male, just out of the blue attack one of my puppies out of my last litter, she was just walking by him and he attacked, he broke her mandible in two and punctured her nasal cavatity, she was 5 weeks old, and with surgery / stiches, she healed up fine, but if I did not stop him he was going to kill her, he has been raised around allot of puppies/litters/dogs and has NEVER EVER showed any kind of aggression!

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
For two weeks, keep them apart. Use the time to bond with your new pup. Building the relationship between you two is way more important than dealing with issues of other issues.
I totally agree. Just keep the pup in a crate in your room and go for walks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point. I had not considered the two getting along well and the pup bonding with the old dog too much. I will try to keep them as separated as possible until I go to school. The old dog is pretty lazy and would rather sleep inside all day than come in and out with the pup and I anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts