RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We shot live flyers this morning and the first too went good but the third wasn't so good. The bird boy didn't make a killing shot he just crippled the duck.the duck couldn't fly but he could run good when my dog got to the duck the duck ran away and my dog would not pick him up. He just looked at him and returned to me.my dog has been exposed to live and cripples ducks before but it was In the puppy stage of training my dog is now 10 months and has been through ff with dead ducks.he loves ducks especially live fliers but he didn't want anything to do with that live duck running away from him this morning.the duck wasn't even acting aggressive towards my dog. I told him to fetch but he wouldnt have no part of it.his ff is solid he's never refused the fetch command on anything till this morning.any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
In my expierience this is when the bird boy should have stepped in and picked up the bird and teased (built excitement) ,hup- hups ,wave the bird around and so on while the dog was still in the area and re threw it as much as needed to to get the dog to finish the retrieve and as soon as he opened his mouth to grab the bird the handler gives great praise and the come in whistle.When you let the dog return to the line without the bird you showed that it was acceptable to return without the bird and thus not finish the complete retrieve.

When you get your azz chewed as the bird boy for not doining this it is a quick lesson learned.;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
What did you do while FFing when the dog refused to pick something up? The reason you do all the FFing is so that if you have a problem you already have the tools in place to correct/fix the problem immediately. If yo used an E-collar in FF then you can use an e-collar in the field, If you pinched an Ear, Pinch an ear. You had a great opportunity to train your dog and what did you do? I know I love it when a young pup presents me with a great training opportunity. I would have gone out and grabbed the duck (still alive) and done a few retrieves from hand maybe with an ear pinch, and then tossed the duck a few feet and had the dog retrieve it, then moved back and had the bird boy toss it then back to the line and rerun it with the gunner shooting but not hitting the same duck. I would also use a lightly shackled duck for the next few training days or until positive my dog will grab a 'cripple" and will not come back to you without a bird.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
How many times has this happened? When your dog fails to do something one time, it isn't always a crisis.

The dog should pick up a cripple mallard because there is nothing he'd rather do, not becasue he's been force fetched. Take the dog out and do whatever you did when he was a puppy. I'd suggest teasing him up with a shackled mallard.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Your FF is not solid......yet, least not with live ducks. I suspect he just has never seen a live, quacking running duck. First offence is no big deal. I agree, someone should get the duck and tease him with it. I bet he does much better next time. I run live, un-shot ducks with pups and they catch on real fast. Soon he will be fetching it back alive.......Duckdon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts