RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor told me I could use his pond to train in. But I am not sure about the risk of the cows being in the water. The property is a fairly large pond they have about 15 cows no 40 acres.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The cows wont stay in the ponds when you are using them.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
You might want to be careful in the hot months with no rain. We live on Lake Texoma which is a huge lake bordering Texas and Oklahoma. It was closed to humans, pets, etc. from 9/1/11 til 2/12 due to blue green algae.It took almost a 6 foot rise in lake level and water temperature of 48 degrees to reduce the high levels of algae. Apparently the algae is always present but extended hot weather and low water conditions can take it to dangerous levels. Several other big lakes in Oklahoma were closed last year as well. You can imagine what a farm pond with or without cow piss could be like under similar circumstances.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Be aware that cattle are often reservoir hosts for leptospirosis so make sure that your dogs are vaccinated against this disease.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dogs are in cow pastures and ponds almost every day. There is some risk of parasite, but make your judgement and talk to your vet.

If you are unfamiliar with cattle, I'd recommend avoiding the area when the cattle are there and/or have your neighbor accompany you a time or two to avoid potentially dangerous situations. Cattle are often --very-- curious and can potentially be dangerous if they feel threatened or are protecting young. We avoid the areas with cattle or I go out to move them first before working dogs.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Sometimes cows will lurk below the surface and pull down unsuspecting dogs. Ever see the videos of the crocadiles and the wildebeasts? Same kind of thing. Nothing scarier than a lab being dragged under by a holstien. I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Sounds like Sauvie Island hunt tests. Part time gunner, part time wrangler every trip down there..

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
You mean there are training grounds that don't have cows on them?

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
I thought about this fer awhile!!

Seems to Gooser, it would be safer than swmmin in Lizard ponds down south!

I never wanna be in the water ans see a lizard! NEVER !! Turds float!!!

How embarassin!!

Gooser

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hunted a pond with a winter wheat field behind it, and sat a few goose FBs and shells out behind us just to add a little extra something. The damn cows would not stop messing with the goose decoys! They would knock them down & flip them over.

I would chase them off... but slowly and surely they'd come back to mess with the decoys again... Cows think they're sneaky.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Hunted a pond with a winter wheat field behind it, and sat a few goose FBs and shells out behind us just to add a little extra something. The damn cows would not stop messing with the goose decoys! They would knock them down & flip them over.

I would chase them off... but slowly and surely they'd come back to mess with the decoys again... Cows think they're sneaky.
They like to jack with Bumper Boys too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts