RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 wk YLF that i am working with. In the past i trained my last YLF strictly for hunting. With this dog i wold like to hunt and do hunt tests. In the past i used Wolters Game Dog and tips from retriever journal, but with this new dog i read and began using Dokken's book in addition to trial&error from the first. With everything i hear about Lardys and Evan Graham is it too late to transition to their programs? Is it worth it? We have sit, stay, down, come, kennel, heel, and place...well established. We run retrieves at distances as far as her attention allows. With her not holding things like the frozen pigeon and bumpers well, i know FF will be a must. If i switch i want to do it early enough.
thoughts are appreciated. I was referred to Evan Graham by a few ppl, abd the books appear very affordable on my limited budget.
thanks
matt

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I put a 2 1/2 year old through Lardy's TRT. Now at 2 1/2, this dog had many bad habbits that needed to be trained out. I had three puppies age 4 - 6 months old that I put through TRT at the same time. The puppies quickly began to outperform the older dog in every way. But, the 2 1/2 year old is much better than he would have ever been if I had not put him back through the program. It was well worth the effort.

The formal training in these programs doesn't really start until about 6 months old. I think it is key that you go through every step in the program and don't try to skim over topics becsue of what your dog already knows..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
14 weeks old and has ob down ? Its a pup let it live a bit
Ob is established, she knows the commands. Compliance % for some higher than the others...she by no means responds to and executes each command everytime, but i also stay realistic in my expectations. She gets plenty of opportunities for playtime & learning is kept short and fun...why not take adv of an eager to learn and very impressionable puppy?!

Thanks Jack, i appreciate the insightful response.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
With everything i hear about Lardys and Evan Graham is it too late to transition to their programs? Is it worth it?
Of course it isn't too late. Most people do exactly what you are doing before 6 months. It may be too early to CC and of course FF but you can start lengthening out marks. The important thing is not to push or rush at this age but make it fun. Ditch the trial and error and pick a program.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the ticket!

Evan
Of course, i am using Dokken with this dog...the more i hear about TRT and Evan Graham i just began wondering if i will be holding my dog back from reaching its full potential by not using one of these systems. I understand i am more likely to be the biggest obstacle for learning as the trainer, not the material i teach from. Just something i was thinking about

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
why not take adv of an eager to learn and very impressionable puppy?!
Sometimes the Amateur trainer is not capable of knowing just how close he is to squashing his pup and burning pup out. Leading to Pup losing drive and focus, leading the Trainer to become frustrated and impatient, leading to unfair expectations for pup and on and on and on. When Pro's and Expert Trainers who have their own programs and have trained dogs on the National Champ level several times over are saying, LET THEM BE PUPPIES!, well I tend to just go with the flow. ;)

Not that all this applies to you Matt, but if you're asking the question, I'd say it's worth thinking about for sure.

I started my pup at 12 weeks with Hillmann's Pup Program and have had fantastic results. I didn't wing it, I just did exactly what Hillmann said to do, no more, no less. I trusted him and didn't push forward. By the end of it my pup looked really good for a 6 month old. Better than a lot of older dogs I've seen in plenty of other Training DVD's actually, but then again Bill tells you to expect that in the beginning of his DVD ;)

Here's some good reading;
http://www.rwrkennels.com/puppytraining.shtml

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/retriever-training/10-pitfalls-in-retriever-training-part-i

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sometimes the Amateur trainer is not capable of knowing just how close he is to squashing his pup and burning pup out. Leading to Pup losing drive and focus, leading the Trainer to become frustrated and impatient, leading to unfair expectations for pup and on and on and on. When Pro's and Expert Trainers who have their own programs and have trained dogs on the National Champ level several times over are saying, LET THEM BE PUPPIES!, well I tend to just go with the flow. ;)

Not that all this applies to you Matt, but if you're asking the question, I'd say it's worth thinking about for sure.

I started my pup at 12 weeks with Hillmann's Pup Program and have had fantastic results. I didn't wing it, I just did exactly what Hillmann said to do, no more, no less. I trusted him and didn't push forward. By the end of it my pup looked really good for a 6 month old. Better than a lot of older dogs I've seen in plenty of other Training DVD's actually, but then again Bill tells you to expect that in the beginning of his DVD ;)

Here's some good reading;
http://www.rwrkennels.com/puppytraining.shtml

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/retriever-training/10-pitfalls-in-retriever-training-part-i
I agree with this completely. I started out with Sound Beginnings with Jackie Mertens until my dog was about 5 or 6 months old then went with Retriever Training Basics with Danny Farmer and Judy Aycock. There is some great material to choose from, more now then ever before. Take your time and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Chris Akin has some good videos out there taylored to the new trainer, Farmers/Aycock video is also good. Lardy's and Evan's material is top notch but I would think Lardy's material could be hard to follow at times for a guy new to the game. Evan's videos are very informative and he's on all the forums answering questions for folks. Pretty much pick any program listed in this thread and stick to it and you'll be good. I agree on letting them be puppies but if you can keep things fun and start good habits now go for it IMO. They are sponges at that age..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Duncan, sunny, Dustin, Evan thanks for the info and responses. Kind of where i am at, i like Dokkens and it is easy enough to follow, just looking for feedback. Part of being a puppy is about growing into a well mannered and fun part of the family imho. While working on basic ob to be this she will transition into a hunting dog

1 - 12 of 12 Posts