RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Has the need for using the DJIA diminished?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As more clubs are utilizing an independent third party/service to handle entries, draws and catalogs. Has the rational for using the DJIA diminished?

Tim

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
independent third party or not it is still possible to manipulate the draw, the Dow Jones method insures fairness in the running order and is non-manipulatable

·
Registered
844 Posts
I still think it should stay. I do the draw electronically, and STILL get to hear people gripe. Like I care enough abo0ut it to change the order?!?

OK, now it's MY turn. I was #2 at Labrador (I did the draw), #1 at Maryland, and now I'm #7 at Blue Ridge (Shayne did those). :cry:

Oh well, . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
942 Posts
msdaisey said:
OK, now it's MY turn. I was #2 at Labrador (I did the draw), #1 at Maryland, and now I'm #7 at Blue Ridge (Shayne did those). :cry:

Oh well, . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah, msdaisey, the price one must pay for fame and popularity... :wink:

Faceless In The Crowd Regards,

Joe S.

·
Registered
844 Posts
fame and popularity
I didn't know I was either!!!

Maybe notorious 8) , but usually the comic relief at whatever stake I'm running. :wink:

·
Registered
942 Posts
msdaisey said:
fame and popularity
I didn't know I was either!!!

Maybe notorious 8) , but usually the comic relief at whatever stake I'm running. :wink:
As I think my "children" and I are throwing birds at Blue Ridge, I have a question for you...

If my son brings a big, fat white moscove duck and you pay him $1,000 to throw it on the long retired in the first series for you, and he throws regular mallards for everyone else, does the fact you gave him $1,000 to throw birds make him a Pro? (Hey...got to consider the ramifications of the actions, you know... :wink: )

Just Wondering Regards,

Joe S.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Daggone it! Ya had to go and make it public! If no one knew about it, then he would not be a pro. :lol:

·
Registered
236 Posts
BTW, to ensure that you get the running number you desire, all you have to do is volunteer to be marshall. It gets really frustrating to see all the handlers sitting and chatting when we're looking for helpers for out P & T stations.

Christine

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
As you worded the poll question, I'd say yes. But I voted no because I think the DJIA should still be used. HPW (who was #31 the last trial I ran, and got DJIA'd and got to run first)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think the DJIA coupled with electronic entries are one of the best things that have happened to our sport.

If anyone can figure out how to manipulate the DJIA, then more power to them. "Tweaking" may be necessary and I don't have a problem with it. The "tweaking is done BEFORE the Dow.

Jerry

·
Registered
844 Posts
The "tweaking is done BEFORE the Dow.
Absolutely!

If my son brings a big, fat white moscove duck and you pay him $1,000 to throw it on the long retired in the first series for you, and he throws regular mallards for everyone else, does the fact you gave him $1,000 to throw birds make him a Pro? (Hey...got to consider the ramifications of the actions, you know... )
I have 2 in the Open and 1 Am dog - could be the beginning of a nice college fund!

G

·
ChrisRobt said:
I marshalled this last weekend, but I ran my dog exactly where I wanted her in each of the three series.

Christine
And you don't think that is unethical???????? Not sure that is something I would want to publicly brag about :cry: Why didn't you run your dog where you were in the order since you stated you could run it "exactly" where you wanted? Just had to get that advantage, eh?

AADD

·
Registered
236 Posts
My dog was #10, I first ran the pros and several of my helpers; I then put my dog in after the numbers ahead of her had already run. I didn't jump anyone, but she did run later than if I had stuck strictly to the schedule, but I had to get those pros run and over to Junior. I don't think this is unethical-also, I had to time her run with when I had someone available to take over as marshall...do you think this is unethical???

Christine

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
msdaisey said:
The "tweaking is done BEFORE the Dow.
....and done again and again during the trial for the sake of time and efficiency. We've all experienced it. You run out of order because you or someone else is: shooting, marshalling, needed at the open, holding up the amateur, getting lunches,has too many dogs.....

We have so many rules about running order and rotations.
Given the exception of "no birds": How many stakes have you seen run in numerical order regardless of which # went first?

Tim

G

·
You were the one that wrote "I ran my dog exactly where I wanted her in each of the three series. "

You didn't say anything about your original running number or getting the pros to Jr. to justify where you ran your dog until called on it. You are the one that stated how you managed to run your dog "exactly" where you wanted her in each of the series. Your original post sure made it sound like you picked and choose where you wanted to run your dog, and that IS unethical or at least taking advantage and having your dog run where it would be beneficial to you and your dog. Why didn't you run last so that you could do the duties of the Marshall all through the series? Guess that wasn't "exactly" where you "wanted" to run your dog.

AADD

·
Registered
236 Posts
AllAboutDaDogs said:
Your original post sure made it sound like you picked and choose where you wanted to run your dog, and that IS unethical or at least taking advantage and having your dog run where it would be beneficial to you and your dog. Why didn't you run last so that you could do the duties of the Marshall all through the series? Guess that wasn't "exactly" where you "wanted" to run your dog.

AADD
You're right about the way I worded that; if my dog had been last numerically, I would probably have run her last (except I had problems extracting a pro from the junior and would have run her in that case. Still, the marshall does have some leeway in where they run their dog as long as it is not disadvantageous to the other competitors.

BTW, AADD have you ever marshalled a hunt test? If so, where did you run your dog? It's not like a party to be a marshall for a stake with 45 dogs which runs for two whole days and never have the judges have to wait for a dog...

Christine

·
Registered
844 Posts
Around our neck of the woods, the first ten dogs run in order unless there is a darn good reason why they can't. Marshalling a stake isn't a good enough reason. Just the way it is here. . .

I have plenty of experience marshalling HTs and FTs. And running the latter.

G

·
ChrisRobt said:
BTW, AADD have you ever marshalled a hunt test? If so, where did you run your dog? It's not like a party to be a marshall for a stake with 45 dogs which runs for two whole days and never have the judges have to wait for a dog...

Christine
Yes, I have marshalled ht & ft. Ran my dog where he was in the running order as a matter of fact and, in one, that position was #1.

45 dog master? Sounds like a small field. Most of the Master tests around here have to be split. Poor pitiful you. 45 dogs, 2 whole days and you still got to run your dog "exactly" where you "wanted" to in "each of the three series" :cry: Along with running the pros, I just bet the wind, sun or field conditions didn't play any part at all in your choice of where you "wanted" to "exactly" run your dog.

AADD

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
ChrisRobt said:
BTW, to ensure that you get the running number you desire, all you have to do is volunteer to be marshall. It gets really frustrating to see all the handlers sitting and chatting when we're looking for helpers for out P & T stations. I sure didn't belong to the Lab club whose test I marshalled this last weekend, but I ran my dog exactly where I wanted her in each of the three series.

Christine
Being a Marshall does not give you the right to pick and choose when you run your dog. Your dog should have run as close as possible in the order in which your number was drawn not when conditions were best for you to run your dog.

·
Registered
573 Posts
One REALLY NICE thing about the DJIA -

The FTS can manipulate the running order to separate pros and cross entries and still be above repute.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts