RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to muck up the thread I took this quote from.

"
Originally Posted by Ken Bora
how can you see the duck and not the dog????
U could just see the bird in air but not it landing"

If the dog can't follow the bird all the way to its landing spot how can it be expected to really mark the fall?

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
in the hunt test world, by use of the distance limitations. A duck on the ground should be clearly seen a laying there. So we often drop them in cover. Personally I do not like the cover taller than half the dog. Then when a toller runs you can at least se um at the top of the bounce. I think you should be able to see the dog all the way to the bird. Sometimes cover must be busted through, but it should be just a moment. A blink of an eye, not an eternity of waiting for handler on the mat. and not necessarily see the bird hit the ground. But a splash of water is good and the occasional bouncing duck on land is great.
Now in the field trial world from Trevor's quote. We all would be hard pressed to see a duck laying on the ground at (what was the yardage on that mark Fowl?)
Yet, in theory. Everything else should stay the same. Yes these type of marks may have the dog out of sight for a bit more than a blink of an eye, 2 blinks? pushing it. Because how do folk judge what they cannot see? So again, aria of fall cover less than half a dog high.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
In training I will throw marks that are behind a levee or over the horizon (in rolling terrain). I think this reinforces drive and helps them to run in a straight line. The dogs seem to pick up on it pretty quick. the birds are easy to find when they get there.
It is interesting to watch them learn and figure this out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts