RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, new to posting. That said, I haven't been around in the past year and everything has changed!

I'm looking for an all-around Lab for lower level field (JH/SH), high level obedience (UD and higher), and high level agility (MACH). Obedience is different from field and agility in that the dog, to some point, has to love to work for the sake of working, be biddable, and have incredible focus. I like my obedience dogs to have a spring in their step and really love the game (as long as I keep my end of the bargain). I would like to see strong dam lines (at least a CDX/MH), strong sire lines, and some higher level obedience titles in the offspring (or siblings).

My last dog was not a field Lab, but he had some old-school FTC lines and then some CH/MH lines closer in. I loved the energy, focus, and enthusiasm he brought to everything he did, but needed more confidence and drive. Some called him crazy because he was super energetic and bouncy and wanted to do ALL THE THINGS. He did have drive, but not enough to dig down deep when the going got tough (at least not in obedience--in agility and field work he was better able to push through).

I don't know the field Lab lines and there are so many! Are there any I should be looking for in particular? I'm not sure if we can suggest specific breeders here, but if so, would love to get some recommendations anywhere in the lower 48. Also, if there are any lines that I should stay away from (high drive but lack of biddability, etc.) I'd love to hear about that, too, if it is allowed.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Long time lurker, new to posting. That said, I haven't been around in the past year and everything has changed!

I'm looking for an all-around Lab for lower level field (JH/SH), high level obedience (UD and higher), and high level agility (MACH). Obedience is different from field and agility in that the dog, to some point, has to love to work for the sake of working, be biddable, and have incredible focus. I like my obedience dogs to have a spring in their step and really love the game (as long as I keep my end of the bargain). I would like to see strong dam lines (at least a CDX/MH), strong sire lines, and some higher level obedience titles in the offspring (or siblings).

My last dog was not a field Lab, but he had some old-school FTC lines and then some CH/MH lines closer in. I loved the energy, focus, and enthusiasm he brought to everything he did, but needed more confidence and drive. Some called him crazy because he was super energetic and bouncy and wanted to do ALL THE THINGS. He did have drive, but not enough to dig down deep when the going got tough (at least not in obedience--in agility and field work he was better able to push through).

I don't know the field Lab lines and there are so many! Are there any I should be looking for in particular? I'm not sure if we can suggest specific breeders here, but if so, would love to get some recommendations anywhere in the lower 48. Also, if there are any lines that I should stay away from (high drive but lack of biddability, etc.) I'd love to hear about that, too, if it is allowed.

Thank you!

I have the puppy for you. Excellent Bloodlines, over achievers, powerhouse bird dog, Champion Hunt & Field Trial records.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a puppy in June! She is close to 16 weeks and amazing. Black field Lab and her name is Lottie. Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts