RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes I have used it for the last three years with no problems. The tube is for a 1250lb horse. I just broke it down to how much each increment on the plunger equaled. My dog is about 60-65 lbs which is equal to about one click on the tube.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Rboudet wrote: "The tube is for a 1250lb horse. I just broke it down to how much each increment on the plunger equaled. My dog is about 60-65 lbs which is equal to about one click on the tube. "

No offense but you are way way way overdosing your dog. The dose for horse worming is 91 mcg / lb of body weight. The dose for a dog is about 3 mcg / lb of body weight. Heartguard for a dog 51 -100 lbs is 272 mcg.

The tube is 6.08 grams of 1.87% ivermectin. That is 113,696 mcg of the drug. The tube is ten clicks so you are giving 11,400 mcg of ivermectin when 272 is all that is needed or about 42 times the needed dose.

So, push out 1 click on the syringe and give a tenth of that and you will still be about 3 or 4 times the needed dose.

Brian

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've found the easiest way to do this is to push the paste into a medical syringe, like the one used for giving kids liquid meds. You can figure out how much you need according to your dogs weight and then distribute from there. Any leftover can be put back into the original tube.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Rboudet wrote: "The tube is for a 1250lb horse. I just broke it down to how much each increment on the plunger equaled. My dog is about 60-65 lbs which is equal to about one click on the tube. "

No offense but you are way way way overdosing your dog. The dose for horse worming is 91 mcg / lb of body weight. The dose for a dog is about 3 mcg / lb of body weight. Heartguard for a dog 51 -100 lbs is 272 mcg.

The tube is 6.08 grams of 1.87% ivermectin. That is 113,696 mcg of the drug. The tube is ten clicks so you are giving 11,400 mcg of ivermectin when 272 is all that is needed or about 42 times the needed dose.

So, push out 1 click on the syringe and give a tenth of that and you will still be about 3 or 4 times the needed dose.

Brian
I don't think I explained that right as far as the clicks. If you are saying the tube has ten clicks then one tube would last ten months. I am on my second tube and she will be four in Feb. I will look at it again when I get home.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Use 1/10 th. of 1 cc for a dog between 50 and 100 lbs. I've been using this dosage for 20 yrs. and I've had three different vets tell me this was a proper dosage for heartworm preventive. I use a insulin syringe without the needle of course, and place on the dogs tongue once a month. I normally use Zimectrim, a horse paste with 1.87 ivermec

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
Why do this when the approved heartworm meds for dogs are safe and effective? If you really have to cut corners because you have so many dogs, maybe you ought to find another area. I am in constant disagreement with my training partner on this subject, so I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" at all. I just dont think saving a few bucks is worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I know of at least five people who were using "approved heartworm meds for dogs" and their dogs tested postive and had to have treatment. I have been using ivermect for three years and my father used it for over 20 with no problems. Come to think of it I can't think of anyone in my training group or club that doesn't use ivermect (liquid or paste).

·
Registered
47 Posts
i know of at least 5 case's down here of people using the approved preventative and have tested positive for heartworms.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do this when the approved heartworm meds for dogs are safe and effective? If you really have to cut corners because you have so many dogs, maybe you ought to find another area. I am in constant disagreement with my training partner on this subject, so I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" at all. I just dont think saving a few bucks is worth the risk.
Where the heck did you get cutting corners because of too many dogs? My TWO, that is TWO, did you get that, TWO dogs are on VET administered heartworm meds. I was curious. Go back to sleep, and get up on the other side of the bed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The paste tube has marks metered in 50lb doses per "click". My concern with the paste is do you get a consistant dose each time? Is there any guarantee that it is evenly mixed throughout or did a particular tube get a weaker portion of the mix from lets say the corner of the mixing vat thus making it less effective? It seems to me that the injectable liquid given orally would be a little more reliable.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Is this cheaper? Has anyone seen a downside to doing it this way? For example, has anyone ever overdosed their dog to a toxic level?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is this cheaper? Has anyone seen a downside to doing it this way? For example, has anyone ever overdosed their dog to a toxic level?
From someone who works with insecticides on a daily basis, I can tell you that ivermectin has very low mammalian toxicity. You would have to give your dog almost unthinkable amounts to do much damage.

To put it into perspective, treatments for some cases of mange call for a gradual increasing amount of ivermectin given orally on a daily basis for weeks at a time - it tops out at several cc/day.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The paste tube has marks metered in 50lb doses per "click". My concern with the paste is do you get a consistant dose each time? Is there any guarantee that it is evenly mixed throughout or did a particular tube get a weaker portion of the mix from lets say the corner of the mixing vat thus making it less effective? It seems to me that the injectable liquid given orally would be a little more reliable.
The consistant or non-consistant dose is my vets concern. It is not too hard to figure out the dose, b ut is it consistant "mix".

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
Hey Duckppopper, I wasnt blasting you. Too many dogs is the reason MY FRIEND gives for using the farm stuff instead of the vet stuff. I just disagree if the ONLY reason is to save money. Now on the other opinion, if some of the vet approved stuff is proving to be NOT effective, I am certainly going to look into it. To me, in the long run, it is more important to give the most protective treatment I can. I have treated a dog with heart worm, (years and years ago before prevention was common) and can tell you that is difficult and expensive. (did work though, the dog lived to be 18!)

·
Registered
629 Posts
It just pisses me off that drug companies sell to the pet people at around $5 a dose when there is about $0.02 of drug at the livestock rate.

That's why I do it. I can do math and conversions. I can even put it in a little cookie like they do.

As far as consistent dose, how do you know the little tablets have a consistent dose? The same way as the paste; you don't.

Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just wanted to pass along what my vet told me about the paste... Many times the paste dose is not consistant. Because it is meant to be given as a whole to a 1250 lb horse, for them it does not matter. But when you are breaking up the doses into such a small quantity, you could be getting a lot of medicine in one dose and a lot of paste in the next. He also said something about the low absorption of the meds in this form. I have heard if you are going to go this route, that the liquid is much better. I have no first hand experience with this but it is just what was passed along to me.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
Just wanted to pass along what my vet told me about the paste... Many times the paste dose is not consistant. Because it is meant to be given as a whole to a 1250 lb horse, for them it does not matter. But when you are breaking up the doses into such a small quantity, you could be getting a lot of medicine in one dose and a lot of paste in the next. He also said something about the low absorption of the meds in this form. I have heard if you are going to go this route, that the liquid is much better. I have no first hand experience with this but it is just what was passed along to me.
I would believe that it is not consistent in the tube. What could be cheaper or more convenient than 1% liquid generic ivermectin using a 1cc syringe?!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can speak from experience that I do not trust the paste. My BLM was, and I stress was, on it for about 15-16 months. He has missed 2 trials and will probably miss a 3rd due to treatment of a mild case of heartworms. My vet wants him back on an approved preventative after the treatment is complete. One concern I have about that is that the same company makes both the preventative and the treatment for heart worms. I am not trying to imply anything, but smells a little funny to me. I have done more research than I care to think about on preventatives and treatments for this and will have him on what I feel is the best to prevent this from occuring again. All I know is it sucks trying to keep him calm for the last 2 months.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts