RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear RTF friends,

As you can imagine, I can't go into specifics. But I will say that when my home phone is ringing and my kids are afraid to pick up; It is time to do something. When a jerk is phoning my home and telling me in a poor Indian accent that he's Microsoft support calling about computer errors, it's time to do something.

When some moron's calling my cellphone multiple times, hiding behind a blocked phone number, finally mustering up the guts to say one crude word and then hang up, it's time to do something.

Feel free to see the announcement at the top of the page. This stinks to have to do this, as the vast majority of the RTF family is awesome. But our community has some trouble amidst our ranks right now.

To all new registrants, please do not take it personally. I hate to have to not trust anyone who comes in new. But I've been lied to one time too many. And now it's affecting my family.

I can tell you all that this has been a wonderful part of my life for 13 years. When you run a resource this closely for that much of your life, it becomes part of who you are.

To sit at the dinner table and have my youngest son asking about the badguy who's calling, and what he might do to us.... Well, try putting yourself in that place.

I ask each and every one of you. Before you hit the submit button, please think about if what you are writing presents any value. If it throws gasoline on the fire of someone who's not stable, is there any value?

For those of you who are grandfathered in with a "handle" and don't post under your real name, beware that you are asked to use the resource properly.

I'm not playing games on the internet. RTF is a real resource here to provide real value. RTF is not here to keep my little son from going to bed at night feeling secure.

Chris Atkinson

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Chris

I am so sorry that you - and more importantly, your family - have to deal with this nonsense

Ted

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Too many people take this stuff too seriously. Its dogs and a game people. Lighten up. Disagreeing over it is fine, getting into real life threats and attacks is another whole story. Just last week someone on RTF called a friend of mine and asked him "who the hell is he to be giving training advice?" Really people? Grow up and grow a sense of humor....

/Paul

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
Chris,
I am so sorry that your son is having to experience anything that makes him feel the need to worry.

In the past week, I have started a reply on a few threads and never hit the "submit" button. I realized that my comments would not add anything productive and would possibly just stir up other mean comments. Perhaps it would be good if some of our other RTF members would take a second to read their reply and think about its content prior to hitting the "submit" button.

Very sad that, after 13 years, you are having to take these steps. I thoroughly understand your decision and hate that you had to go this route.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Wow. From our PM's a few days ago I knew you mentioned some trouble but I had no idea. I don't even know what to say about this other than I'm sorry for your troubles.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Oh Chris, I am so sorry you and your family are having to deal with this. What a crying shame. All this in return for the good you, and RTF, do.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I too am sorry that you, and your family especially, have to deal with this type of thing due to the RTF. As a father of two daughters I can imagine how you felt during that dinner table conversation.

I agree with a couple of others that too many people take differing opinions and debate as personal attacks. And too many turn debate into personal attacks. Whether it's with a buddy over a beer or someone on a forum we should be able to have constructive debate and disagree without sinking to the level of tossing out threats and personal attacks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nobody should have to go through what you are going through. This is unbelievable.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Speechless....but filled with anger

Apologize that your family has been put thru this by some ********* third party, very sorry Chris....

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
That sucks! You've always been open with your contact information. It's pretty sad that may have to change. Hope you are able to figure out who it is.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Unbelievable this is happening to you and your family Chris.
Some humans (and I use that word loosely) never cease to amaze me.
Hope you find out who it is.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Chris,
Sorry to hear about this.
This forum is a great place for information. It is unfortunate that some have to take it to the nth degree.
Bo

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sorry to hear about this nonsense. I don't see how anyone can get wrapped up in this train wreck and take it to to that level.

Hopefully it clears up soon.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I just read this with a feeling of total disbelief. Neither you nor your family should have to put up with that kind of bs. It is just too warped for my mind to comprehend that people would be bugging you personally. I am truly sorry Chris, you don't deserve it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a person who has posted little but read A LOT and appreciates the info that this site routinely provides, post #2 pretty well nailed it.

Unbelievable.

Thanks for the forum and the great resource(s) it provides to many.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Chris, so sorry to hear. You've not only provided a great venue (when people choose to use their powers for good and actually want to talk dogs!), but lent an ear to a lot of folks personally. It takes a really sick mind for someone to do what they are doing to your family. Self serving to not care that they can frighten a child and put you on the defensive. Hopefully this person will see how serious this is and just move along.

M

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Incredible, Chris! I hope you have the miscreant identified. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior, and that goes triple for involving your family.

Like Vickie, I've chosen to delete posts rather than send them. I can't imagine calling your to harass you about this wonderful service you provide.

I trust we will be rid of this individual, and avoid such in the future.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would like to change my user name to my real name but can't figure out how to do it.

I do not approve of this kind of behavior, and Chris you have my support for you and your family. This is not taken lightly by me.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Sorry to hear this Chris!! No one should have to put up with it, especially someone who is trying to do something positive for those trying to train a dog.

In 2005 a Navy kid here in Dahlgren VA, drove 1300 miles to Texas to confront someone over an internet feud. The boy ended up setting fire to a person's house, thus sending him to pound rocks for seven years in Leavenworth..

So when you mentioned "If it throws gasoline on the fire of someone who's not stable, is there any value?" It reminded me of this incident of just exactly that.. Hopefully this will pass without problems. I agree with the rules at the top of the page and if you need anything additional from me, I would gladly provide.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts