RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jason and Hank getting ready for Lone Star HRC hunt test next weekend. He did good. My coaching at end:

Slow down on send
Watch dog not ducks
Pay attention to position of healing stick

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
He's mostly just a couple of yards away, why be talking loud to him? Why say much of anything at all actually? I'm guessing nervous handler. You think the dog might pick up on nervousness?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think the dog did great...the handler was an impediment.

Seems to me nearly everything the handler did was meant to intimidate the dog. From how he crowded Hank with his knee, his commands, how he took the duck, the sit stick....

Wayne, I've watched your videos of Hank (by Pirate) and I don't see a reason for him to be treated in that fashion.

But I don't know nothing....:cool:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would hope the dog did great, they were short singles with no factors
It's not all about picking up the chickens ....

If it were then Wayne wouldn't have posted this video.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Yeah, we get you don't think too much of HRC marks, from your previous posts, but is that kind of remark really necessary here? Why take something away from a guy trying to learn to run his dog in his chosen venue. Critique his handling or whatever, but there's no need to denigrate anything else.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think the dog did great...the handler was an impediment.

Seems to me nearly everything the handler did was meant to intimidate the dog. From how he crowded Hank with his knee, his commands, how he took the duck, the sit stick....

Wayne, I've watched your videos of Hank (by Pirate) and I don't see a reason for him to be treated in that fashion.

But I don't know nothing....:cool:
Interesting...Did we watch the same video? I didn't see or hear anything which I felt was intimidating to the dog by Jason.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
And Hank and his owner are running a Started HRC test. looks to me that Wayne has done a nice job with Hank, he appears to be trained above the level he is running, the way it should be. It appears your pretty new to all of this and have been hanging and working the past few weekends at your trials, it's easy to look at SHR singles as EASY marks compared to derby marks, Started dogs are not derby dogs. Those easy singles might not mean alot to you but to a first time handler and most likely the trainer of the dog up to this point, there huge.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I've been around hunt test for about 8 yrs or so but pretty new to field trials.I was actually at a hunt test today after finishing the field trial. I actually think hank is a nice dog and like how he runs just as hard back as he does to the mark. Do I have something against started? I won't hijack the thread with that.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
That dog is being trained well above the started level standard, and did an excellent job with the set up. And that includes the handler.

Dog was steady without being held by the collar (allowed in started)

Dog delivered to hand.. (not required by the started standard.)

Handler talked to the dog... (allowed in HRC)

Dog left the line obediantly.

VERY nice job,, and an easy pass in started.

As far as factorless marks.....
Before anyone critiques the set up, and what these guys incorporated,,,
Please take the time to read HRCs rules and standards for the started level.
AGE has nothing to do with dogs progression..... It takes what it takes...

Prepare the dog... Most important thing. THIS DOG IS WELL PREPARED FOR A STARTED HRC TEST.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Quote:

Do I have something against started? I won't hijack the thread with that.

Ya already did!!!!! Now do us all a a favor and shut the H... up!!!

No wonder people who want to get started in the games ,have such worries, and confusion...
There is a written standard..

There is written rules....

People who try and make MORE out of them than what they are..... Need to go away and Play another Game,,,,, ORRRR for chripes sake,,,, Go Compete!!

Can Ya tell FIREHOSE,, Ya hit Goosers nerves?????

Gooser

·
Registered
172 Posts
How many pages of pissing matches will this thread be?

As for the dog, great work and for sure an easy started pass.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Turn the sound off and watch the Vid!!

Get a different perspective?

You can Talk to your dog in HRC ... Just like you can when Ya hunt...

As far as intimidation,,,

Again turn the sound off, and look at the body english of the dog and then tell Gooser the handler intimidated the animal.....

You SEEEEEE intimidation,,,, Ya dont here it.

Gooser

·
Registered
500 Posts
I judged Jason and Hank at Cowtown's Sunday Started test about a month ago. They both did a great job and yes Jason seemed a little nervous.

·
Registered
687 Posts
As far as intimidation,,,

Again turn the sound off, and look at the body english of the dog and then tell Gooser the handler intimidated the animal.....

You SEEEEEE intimidation,,,, Ya dont here it.

Gooser
Yes, I SEE intimidation. I didn't say the dog was intimidated by it. He wasn't.

Maybe it wasn't the handlers intent to intimidate the dog....but I saw it and heard it...

I'm not talking about the intimadation that gets one warn or failed at a test. Obviously that wasn't there. I'm talking about backing off and let the dog do the work that he has been trained to do.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yes I SEE intimidation. I didn't say the dog was intimidated by it.

Maybe it wasn't the handlers intent to intimidate the dog....but I saw it and heard it...

What in the world are you seeing or hearing as intimidation?? Jason sounds like he has a deeper voice, and maybe one of those people that talks alittle loud. If this is a form of intimidation were all guilty.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts