RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
I was training with a group in Georgia in the mid 90s when someone noted that today would be special because John was passing through and would join us
. Sure enough everthing stopped when he arrived. John took over the training that day answering everyone's questions about what he did and why. I still practise some of the things he shared with us that day. Later I marshaled the open for him. Never met anyone so detailed oriented. We lost a special man.

Bill

· Registered
5,026 Posts
John was one of the authors of the Field Trial judging manual. As far as I know Pete Simonds didn't reveal exactly who wrote what but pretty sure one can recognize John's contributions.
It would be nice to collect as much of his written advice as can be found scattered around the country and compile into an archive.

· Registered
261 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. It was because of John, Missy, Ken Ericson, and Dave Hoffman that brought me into field trials. I had played in the hunt test game for years.
John was always willing to help. He was greatly missed when he left the game.

· Registered
5,026 Posts
Excellent idea, Breck.

One of Johns best contributions was the "split casting drill".
That drill was to address dogs that scallop or dig back on blinds right

· Registered
7,630 Posts
I was most impressed with John at the 2001 NARC in Virginia, MN. In the 10th series the test was particularly difficult with high cover, rough terrain and it was a very warm day. Several dogs had trouble finding two of the four birds... And John's dog was no different that day. However, he was unable, try as he did... To handle the dog to the bird. After many fruitless attempts, John finally said "here". The entire gallery felt his pain as he called the dog in and therefore was not a Finalist.

But, after cooling his dog down, John was back in the gallery watching the other dogs run. I would hope to be able to respond to that sort of "Agony of Defeat" in that way... Not sure I could. I was always impressed by the way he handled that gut wrenching pickup...

· Registered
3,437 Posts
I was most impressed with John at the 2001 NARC in Virginia, MN. In the 10th series the test was particularly difficult with high cover, rough terrain and it was a very warm day. Several dogs had trouble finding two of the four birds... And John's dog was no different that day. However, he was unable, try as he did... To handle the dog to the bird. After many fruitless attempts, John finally said "here". The entire gallery felt his pain as he called the dog in and therefore was not a Finalist.

But, after cooling his dog down, John was back in the gallery watching the other dogs run. I would hope to be able to respond to that sort of "Agony of Defeat" in that way... Not sure I could. I was always impressed by the way he handled that gut wrenching pickup...
We were at that final as well and I was going to post up the same account. We knew little of the sport at the time, but could see what pain he was in and to compose himself as he did showed great character. This is all I know of him, but it speaks volumes to me of the kind of person he was.

Way to young.

· Registered
462 Posts
In Perspective

A niche in time - Retriever Field Trials Performance Book 1997 - 2002.

John Cavanaugh

Judging All-Age Trials 24.

Top Derbies - 1998 #3 Max Millennium L.F. 55 Pts.; 1999 #4 AFC Max Millennium L.F. 69 Pts.
Double Headers 1997 - 2002 - FC-AFC Bird Perfect MH LKC 8/97; FC-AFC Max Millennium FTP 8/02.

Nationals - 1997 FC-AFC Bird Perfect MH L.F. 2 Series; 2000 FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 5 Series;
2002 FC-AFC Countess Olenska L.F. 9 Series; FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 7 Series.

National Amateur - 1997 FC-AFC Bird Perfect MH L.F. 9 Series
1998 FC-AFC Bird Perfect MH L.F. Qual. not entered.
1999 FC-AFC Chena River Chevez L.M. 6 Series; FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 6 Series;
2000 FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 8 Series; 2001 FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 10 Series;
2002 FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 6 Series.

Creative Work - Retriever Training Workshop Master Manual 2001; AKC Field Trials (One Judges Perspective).

John Cavanaugh - KNOWLEDGEABLE; CONFIDENT; DEDICATED; SELFLESS; SUCCESSFUL.

Bill Connor

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A niche in time - Retriever Field Trials Performance Book 1997 - 2002.

John Cavanaugh

Judging All-Age Trials 24.

Top Derbies - 1998 #3 Max Millennium L.F. 55 Pts.; 1999 #4 AFC Max Millennium L.F. 69 Pts.
Double Headers 1997 - 2002 - FC-AFC Bird Perfect MH LKC 8/97; FC-AFC Max Millennium FTP 8/02.

Nationals - 1997 FC-AFC Bird Perfect MH L.F. 2 Series; 2000 FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 5 Series;
2002 FC-AFC Countess Olenska L.F. 9 Series; FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 7 Series.

National Amateur - 1997 FC-AFC Bird Perfect MH L.F. 9 Series
1998 FC-AFC Bird Perfect MH L.F. Qual. not entered.
1999 FC-AFC Chena River Chevez L.M. 6 Series; FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 6 Series;
2000 FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 8 Series; 2001 FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 10 Series;
2002 FC-AFC Max Millennium L.F. 6 Series.

Creative Work - Retriever Training Workshop Master Manual 2001; AKC Field Trials (One Judges Perspective).

John Cavanaugh - KNOWLEDGEABLE; CONFIDENT; DEDICATED; SELFLESS; SUCCESSFUL.

Bill Connor
And with all that experience he was never asked to judge a National event. Even as some people of status had judged more than once. I can only assume because John had more class than most to vocalize such disappointment, that this was a contributing factor to him walking away from the game.

· Registered
28 Posts
i remember running my dog in some master tests and John being one of the judges. He was always willing to share his knowledge with me and answer my many questions about training. What a great man, and what a great loss. My condolences to his family and friends.

· Registered
5,202 Posts
I was originally introduced to dog games by some people who knew and trained with John. I never had the pleasure of meeting the man but his legacy will live on in the training of a great many people. I do not know what I do that can be attributed back to him but I am sure there is something, if not a lot of things I was taught that were John's. Sad to hear of anyone going at such a young age.

· Registered
2,737 Posts
John was one of the authors of the Field Trial judging manual. As far as I know Pete Simonds didn't reveal exactly who wrote what but pretty sure one can recognize John's contributions.
It would be nice to collect as much of his written advice as can be found scattered around the country and compile into an archive.
His seminar manuals are available at http://www.weebegoldens.com/index.php/john-cavanaugh

· Registered
193 Posts
John was such a great person for the sport. Tom and I had the pleasure of training with him off and on for a couple of years. He was so willing to share is knowledge. He wanted the Blue! John would help anyone try to get the blue as well.

I remember some of the stories from ... Training in the hotel room over the corner of the bed for Max to take a straight line - To PITCH black running a english honor @ Rebel Ridge. ;).
Keystone Retriever Club was the first of many clubs to have him give seminars. What a mentor!

Every Bird / Every Setup - COUNTED!

RIP - John Cavanaugh - KNOWLEDGEABLE; CONFIDENT; DEDICATED; SELFLESS; SUCCESSFUL.

· Registered
5,026 Posts

· Registered
884 Posts
John was very helpful when I contacted him to learn more about Countess Olenska personality and training aptitude. He shared a website with a lovely training manual for amateurs handlers. I am sorry for his family on his passing. Gone way too soon.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts